Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

Looks like inner Alaska then? Not flyover country and do ICE or Border Patrol or whatever go there?

1 Like

It’s not coastal elitism, it’s blue state elitism.

So there you go. This plot was foiled by lawbros appointed by Trump upholding norms. Just as the lawbros said would happen. You’re welcome.

Email I just received:

We’re increasing the APY on your Wealthfront Cash Account (again!) to 1.40% APY

2 Likes

ally just did it to 0.95%

better than my ethereum though

1 Like

https://twitter.com/teneikaask_you/status/1537611442463154178

Pretty much what I said, but only for airbnb. Let’s see what happens.

Can’t people set up corporate structures so that they technically aren’t the owners? I don’t know shit about this sort of thing, but I feel like I hear about it in other areas.

Maybe it will cost too much or be too much hassle to do this.

It depends how they enforce the residency restriction and whether they require an actual person to qualify for that restriction - or if you can just set up corporations based in atanta.

There are still workarounds. Maybe you can just make your kids or your mom an owner of your Airbnb. Of course, there is probably a limit to how far you can go with this sort of thing, so it will still have an effect.

Notice you have to live in Atlanta. Notice the 8% tax. Imagine a legislative body that actually wants to do things, and will keep passing more laws until it succeeds. It can be done.

Why not just ban Airbnb altogether? Serious question.

I feel like the best use cases for Uber and Airbnb were not how they get the bulk of their use.

When it came out, I thought Uber was revolutionary because it would allow for a taxi-adjacent service in towns like where I grew up for airport rides, rides home from bars, other things that are legitimate reasons for anybody to need a ride in small towns, but the town isn’t big enough to support full time cab drivers.

Same for Airbnb, it allowed people who had houses they used part time (ski or other vacation homes) to be used when people aren’t there.

Unfortunately, the company and people using the company figured out pretty quickly that their most profitable cases were just making existing rental properties into Airbnbs and Uber undercutting taxi service in places that taxi services already existed.

2 Likes

Corporations are people too. According to the Supreme Court.

The other value of Uber was for surge events. Like in NYC, after a big event, you had no prayer in getting a taxi. So if you had a system like Uber were supply could be dynamic, it would have some nice advantages as drivers could choose to operate only when there was need.

I also do think taxis were overregulated. For instance, when I was in Jersey City, my taxi once got pulled over since it was a Hoboken cab (that had just dropped someone off). We were going to Hoboken, so seems such a waste that taxi couldn’t take us there on his way back.

Similarly, cabs would often refuse to take me to Jersey, since they couldn’t get a return fare (I forget if at the time you had to pay both tolls plus extra fees - I know you did for Upstate NYC, but not sure about NJ).

Airbnb functions as an unregulated hotel. I would give people the ability to rent out their property for x nights per year across all similar services under lighter regulations, after which they are subject to the same regulations, fees, and taxes as hotels. Beneficial for people who want to make some extra money from an empty room, more difficult to have a completely empty property as an Airbnb.

2 Likes

Funny, that’s the same way the US teaches people about healthcare

3 Likes

I think it’s actually ok parenting if rich parents don’t give their kids a whole bunch of money. Things go wrong way more often when rich people shower their kids with money and those kids eventually inherit the rest with no life or money skills whatsoever. Poof goes the estate.

I would also guess that, like a lot of other affluent “I didn’t help me kids, I made sure they paid their own way and did it themselves” types, Cramer probably paid for private school and/or university for his kids, and maybe gave them rent money early on, etc. etc. It’s pretty common for affluent people to have a blind spot for how far ahead this “little help” puts their kids compared to other peoples’ kids. The article describes one daughter as a youth counselor with a low income that saves and invests her money. Possibly she is the world’s hardest working, best saving low income counselor, but more likely is that she can save more than her peers because she doesn’t have the same debt burden (I’m guessing).

When someone says they don’t want to live somewhere because the people in power don’t respect human rights, it is kind of weird to counter with “no, they just don’t respect POOR people’s human rights”.

Not when the person you’re talking to isn’t poor.

But I want cuse to move to Austin so we can hang out lol. He really would make more money in the games here I’m guessing.

1 Like

Poor people aren’t really people, if you think about it.