Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I don’t have a problem with the general concept of making your kids earn their own money. I just thought the quote in the headline was kind of funny. And I bet you’re right that Cramer has given his kids more financial support than he’s letting on.

I guess one could interpret cw’s reticence to move to states without abortion rights as a purely pragmatic one in that it would be inconvenient and expensive to get one, but I don’t think that’s right.

He’s straight up said his girlfriend would hate moving to such a state. He cares about what she wants. You don’t need to over-complicate things by trying to deconstruct his motives.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed the post where he said his girlfriend’s objections to living somewhere with abortion restrictions were primarily financial.

He didn’t really say why she objected.

@anon38180840 can tell us if moving to Texas would be on the table if he were single and completely unattached. Is he reluctant to move to a state without abortion rights or is he reluctant to move to a state where his girlfriend wouldn’t want to live?

I think it’s a good service for people who wish to travel that way, and a small amount of it doesn’t hurt the housing market.

The concerns are not financial. It’s about not having to worry about that stuff, mainly, and not feeling like she doesn’t have full rights with her body and her medical decisions.

I might then consider Austin and Houston, but I’d have long term concerns about the Texas GOP and secession and all their lunacy.

An interesting thing to know about Texas is just how little power the state government actually has.

Saw this graph recently about those TreasuryDirect i bonds. Looks like people shoveled a fair amount of money into it, wish it showed the data back further.

I still can’t get over how bad of a website t-d is. Its like something your klandma would get suckered into sending money overseas.

Fun times at bogleheads

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=380332&newpost=6739650

DH and I are 40 and 38 respectively. We have a toddler. I have been a SAHM since our little ones birth. Can I continue to be one?

Net worth $1.1 million
No debt
Renting
His Gross income ~175k
Annual expenses with allowances for travel ~65k

Every time I think about posting on Bogleheads to see if there’s an obvious hole in my financial plans, I immediately assume that it will be posted here and mocked, so I don’t.

1 Like

Are you in the 99.99%tile of economic preparedness? If so, you’re probably prescient.

um if their net worth is 1.1MM and they’re renting how could they not afford for her to be a SAHM, how does that even come up?

Just post it directly here and we’ll mock it.

2 Likes

:vince2:

oh man.

the juxtaposition to this is one of my favorite pages where people can post asking for anonymous advice - lots of it is very sad, like “should I splurge on a $4 rice and bean burrito, or be disciplined and split that into a few meals before I get paid friday?”

I don’t know how they survive on only banking over a hundred thousand dollars a year.

Writing that out makes it so much worse. Holy hate read.

I was think of posting a ridiculous one on purpose just to see if one of our resident hate-readers would post it here.

At the risk of getting piled on, some of these peoples expenses relative to their income and wealth seem truly ridiculous.

Like, if you’re already a multi millionaire and you’re saving 6 figures a year, WTF are you doing living on $5k a month including housing. They’re either lying or living completely unnecessarily frugally.