I resign

Keeed wasn’t banned and Vict0ar asked to be banned and his donations refunded.

2 Likes

Sorry, where has Keeed gone then?

ggoreo anonymized Keeed around the same time he anonymized himself. kedreading has been liking posts today though.

1 Like

I think he’s still here. User anon987564. Or is that Jal? It’s hard to tell them apart now.

That could potentially alter my vote, but I don’t want to dig deep into this. If the sanction is only removing Meb as mod and there’s significant controversy about his moderation, then I’m fine with removing him.

The issue is that meb banned churchill and jal after saying he would ban posters during his mod elections, then anonymized their accounts when yuv tried to reverse the bans. Supposedly, a chunk of people are upset not because of churchill and jal being banned, but that I wasn’t. Others are upset of how someone was essentially perma’d and anonymized.

Everything else is reaction to that.

Correct

@simplicitus

Let me clarify the parts that CN left out. Meb ran on a platform of bringing peace to UP by banning a handful of trouble makers from both sides, and actually named CN as one to be banned on the discord forum. (As you know, there is significant overlap across the two forums, so plenty of people knew.) He refused to name others on his list during the vote. In fact, refusing to name anybody at all over here on UP.

He then banned only 2 users from one side. Shockingly, a shit storm has erupted, which meb further inflamed by anonymizing those two accounts so that it can’t be undone, (according to Potato).

I think only useful thing I’ve taken away from all this is that some day if I ever wish my account to be anonymized, doing that should be relatively easy and should not be considered a huge imposition on the mod that needs to do it. Is that right?

Correct, it’s incredibly simple actually.

Thanks for the clarifications. I’m kind of on the fence, though I think bans or threats of bans against good faith posters like CN or Keed in an effort to pressure them to think correctly is bad mojo and maybe the worst conduct here imo.

However, some posters do appear to be somewhat deranged (Vic, Churchill) or Russian bot style reality deniers, but I generally favor giving even the deranged a looong leash (but not infinite). (Authoritarian regimens, especially the USSR, often call critics “mentally ill” and then lock them up for life).

In general, based on the clarifications, I don’t think Meb’s specific acts justify much outrage (though I might think differently if I were a mod), but the sanction of being removed as mod is pretty minor.

Also, lol about “ran for mod on a platform of X”. I already have concerns about mod elections as similar to judicial elections, where no one has any idea what they’re voting for. My approach to mod elections are 1) is this person willing to voluntarily take on responsibility and 2) is this person crazy (aside from being willing to voluntarily take on responsibility)? I’d vote for almost anyone to be mod. Hell, I was more than happy with Wookie as mod4lyfe.

I also think 6-month mod terms are a bad idea. The terms should be at least a year.

1 Like

Not upset just puzzled … as to why 2 posters who were not actively posting were chosen instead of one who was - of whom the mod in question had said

just 2 weeks ago. I’d have thought the “single worst poster on this forum” would be 1st on the list. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

The rule needs clarification on max ban length still possible.

My intention was for that to be addressed in future rulemaking.

A vote to remove me is a vote to continue being a forum that allows people to come here just to attack specific members of this forum and the community as a whole. It’s a vote to protect those who have no interest in positively contributing to this forum. It is a vote to waste countless hours arguing about whether a ban of a poster who never posts here other than an occasional pot shot is ok.

If that’s what you guys want, please vote to remove me, because I have no interest in dealing with any of that anymore.

If instead you want someone who will actually make timely decisions in the best interest of the forum, keep me around and I’ll try my best to keep doing that.

Up to all of you of course.

Well if the acceptable ban length is 10 years, then ending perma-bans means nothing. If you want to end permas you have to specify a max ban length along with it.

Asking for a friend. Is it possible to mute mods?

Anonymizing accounts is much more than permaban and worthy of outrage. Permaban takes away your future, anon takes away the past. I was very upset when Matt Sklansky would guest posters and he at least was an owner. Then to blame other mods for his actions? That’s not the logic of an adult who can be trusted with anything.

3 Likes

He cleaned up his act for like 3 days or something. Just like me! (I didn’t BTW - I was just used as justification to let CN off the hook.)

The thinking was since the two users permbanned were already serving shorter bans there would be less impact to the forum.

Whoops.