I resign

The anonymizing accounts is the part that really sticks in my crawl.

Even assuming that Meb’s campaign rhetoric + the vote gave him a “mandate” to ban the two people he did, his rhetoric and the PM’s he posted showed that he knew the bans might be controversial and could be subject to more community discussion/votes. Despite knowing this, he later took the additional step of anonymizing the accounts so that they could not be restored even if the community voted to overturn his bans. That’s going too far, imo.

6 Likes

I think it’s a riot that all the big brained liberals here have assigned the mod with the lowest percentage of confirming votes the only “mandate” from the election. Almost like this is a huge fucking game.

Almost like everyone else was just hey I’ll be a mod(and most were nominated by me). And I was nominated by someone else and stated clearly throughout that the only way I would do the job is if I was allowed to issue lengthy bans as I saw fit. Totally the same things.

Objection! You articulated a platform to issue a lengthy ban to a small set of posters from “both sides” who you believed were causing all the problems. You refused to name names (except for CN) and many people thought you were joking.

Clovis said he wasn’t going to ban anybody. Many of the same people voted yes for both you and Clovis. Clashing mandates! What does this mean? Maybe the big brained doctor can ponder this great mystery too.

Too bad Clovis decided to step down rather than enforce his mandate.

Me banning people and clovis not banning anyone are not mutually exclusive things. You’re smart enough to know that.

This is the post where clovis volunteered for reference.

I feel trolled by mentioning this again, but there are no banning mods and peace keeping mods. There are only mods. Any action Meb gets to make, every other mod gets to make. That’s the idea of a precedent.

Are you arguing that you are the only one who is allowed to ban users now, meb? Are you arguing that mods are not allowed to unban users (precedent already set by Wooke, Tilted and Sven)? Are you arguing that you are the only one who is allowed to nuke users account if another mod unbans them (precedent set by you yesterday)?

Assuming you don’t actually think you have special supermod powers, a vote confirming your moderation status after your actions officially gives these permission to all mods, present and future.

1 Like

So you didn’t realize those 2 posters would be viewed as martyrs by like 20 other posters despite that implication being in place for 2 years and those people literally starting their own forum due to their dislike of their friends getting banned. Yikes.

1 Like

All mods already have and will continue to have these permissions regardless of the outcome of the vote.

Is this nitpicking that the option is technically available to every mod? I get it, clever. Having the option and using it are different things, but perhaps I wrongfully assumed people understand that.

I definitely anticipated that, but I did not anticipate it upsetting goreo specifically. Why the community here should be concerned about upsetting other people who have formed their own separate forum and occasionally come back to take pot shots at this place is beyond me.

I guess it can be considered nitpicking but I’ve been trying to point out that if the community wants moderation changes it needs to create actual rules for moderators to follow and be held to, even this poll to remove meb as a mod is an informal kludge.

1 Like

Or we can just have obvious norms, like we use anonymize account when a person asks for it and not as a tool to unilaterally permaban users.

Such silly games.

2 Likes

A lot of them still post here, some of them might have posted in the future. How you could possibly think that this wouldn’t upset Yuv or Keed or Micro or Cassete is mind-boggling.

What about the much larger group of people who post here everyday who were being upset and driven off this site by the continual appeasement of these shit posters?

1 Like

Yeah you thought it would only upset the “right” people. Thanks for admitting it at least.

I value posters actively trying to contribute positively to this forum over those trying to cause its demise. Correct.

It’s so weird that a good portion of the people we “drove off” are happily posting with us elsewhere.

I think this fantasy of “captains” driving people off has pretty much been played out now.

1 Like

I think you’ve got your group sizes confused there.

I don’t feel like anyone was driven off by churchill bring allowed to post here. Certainly not as many people as you’ve driven off by banning him.