I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

great jinx for us… when maher got stopped and dispossessed 1v1 by that girl half her size to save the try i thought that would be a turning point for GB for sure…

Some kind of eyesight degenration issue maybe?

1 Like

Especially since olympic village is essentially a non stop partner swap party. I would assume underage athletes are housed elsewhere (though I think France might have a lower adult age than america?)

1 Like

Total guesses but

• Eyesight
  • Frequent injuries due to repetitive motion
  • The sport doesn’t pay well so lots of people (especially ones with families) have to get real jobs and can’t keep up with the training and competition schedule
2 Likes

so if you’re a billionaire with 20/20 lasik vision, archery gotta be the best value if you wanted to “buy” yourself an olympic medal?

maybe pay for everything one of those yachts needs and ask to be the guy that swabs the deck and hope everyone else wins gold? haha

Im Dong-hyun set a then WR in London Olympics with 20/200 / 20/100 vision, which makes him legally blind, so eyesight alone is probably not the reason.

2 Likes

well if it ain’t vision, it’s gonna piss me off until somebody solves this :joy:

it’d be like if bocce was a medal sport and two 19-year olds won. wouldn’t happen it’s gonna be two 70-year old italians

Or, just be a Hollywood actress with some time on your hands…

1 Like

My sister’s good friend who was in my high school was supposed to represent Canada in the Olympics like 20-25 years ago was trying a new jump on the vault and her coach gave her boost when she wasn’t expecting it and she lost all control and landed on her head and broke her neck and has walked with a heavy limp her whole life.

1 Like

could a billionaire buy their way onto the archery team?

like i’ll fund everything and pay triple whatever we need for equipment, coaches, hell i’ll pay salaries for everyone. quit your jobs and train with me every day.

do that every 4 years and hope for some run good at least once?

How much of an upset was Canada over France in 7s? Seems like an all timer, but I have no idea.

As others mentioned probably eyesight. Plus just body control with breathing and not shaking. A fifty year old is simply not likely to be able to maintain the same bodily control when firing.

That being said who wins the shooting events old or young? I assume it’s similar.

1 Like

They tend to be older I think, especially the shotgunners

Isn’t that what that wrestling murderer sort of did. Didn’t buy a spot on the team but bought control of the whole us team.

2 Likes

The yachts in the Olympics are only 15 feet long or so, swabbing it isn’t a full time job.

Being rich is an important advantage in a lot of events so you can train instead of work. Also to afford horses for those events.

is this an argument for getting a gold specifically? and are you needing to actually contribute something? definitely not the women’s archery team unless you’re south korean. they’ve won every gold ever. i woulld assume you would just pick whatever team event has the largest rosters and buy your way onto the bench somewhere. but if you have to contribute? idk.

there are people that buy their way into the olympics all the time i think especially the winter. dont you remember that lady that bought her way into skiing on the halfpipe and didnt do a single trick in her run?

The skateboarders are all little children.

I don’t see why a 65-year old who has 60 years of experience couldn’t compete.

3 Likes

Tony Hawk would slaughter these runts.

2 Likes

Watching gymnastics…. Seems super weird to me that judges have to determine in real time if a gymnast steps out of bounds and how many feet (on floor routine) vs. just using video to determine/confirm it after the fact.