I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

This is the mantra of our chihuahua, Poppy.

My name is Poppy Montoya. I want to play with you. Prepare to die.

(Leo wants to play chase, Poppy wants to wrestle and play bite).

2 Likes

I’d hope that any player with half a brain would realize that the tide is lifting everyone (e.g. improved travel arrangements, more opportunities to make money outside of their game checks, etc.) even if their personal contracts may not rise as much as their egos believe.

Sure but intellectually believing one thing doesn’t prevent feeling of envy/jealousy/etc. And being happy that CC is bringing more eyeballs to the league probably wouldn’t stop me from wanting to be on the Olympic team ahead of her if I think I am a better player with a stronger resume of results against tough competition. And it definitely wouldn’t stop me from giving her the “welcome to the league, rook” treatment if I was playing against her.

So in the original Olympics, where they wrestled naked, was there a rule against grabbing the other guys balls? Because that would get me to insta-tap out. Assuming tap outs were a thing.

Rules were limited to the forbidding of biting and of attacking the genitals.

1 Like

Glad to hear that

I wonder why they felt the need to forbid both biting and attacking. Has someone claimed to do some non-aggressive nibbling?

Early UFC had punches to the balls:

You can still check their oil, right?.. Right?!

that’s awesome :heart:

1 Like

South Sudan is leading the US in the fourth quarter

in basketball

1 pt win. Looks like SS got a look on a banked runner type shot and a tip chance.

The rest of the world learned to play, what are you going to do.

Get rid of the 3 point shot. Then it becomes all about pure athleticism. USA should dominate that.

1 Like

Obviously USA shouldn’t have almost lost to South Sudan in basketball, but I think lots of people (not necessarily here) have this vision of the South Sudanese players just wandering onto a basketball court from huts or something. They are professional basketball players.

Looking at the box score (which was really difficult to find, actually), it looks like South Sudan outplayed USA in almost every facet of the game. The difference was the FT discrepancy: 22-28 for USA vs. 10-13 for South Sudan.

I don’t know. One of the SS players said there are no indoor courts in the country and they just come together every couple years to play.

But they are all still pros playing in leagues around the world. They aren’t moisture farmers who just decide they’ll try this thing called basketball every few years.

1 Like

https://x.com/TeamUSA/status/1816075689507918079

2 Likes

Rugby Sevens and football has started.