I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I get that letting individual Russian athletes compete and win medals is fair, but “ROC” as a collective entity should be disqualified from the total medal count or else what are we even doing here.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is not an official stat, but if the media chooses to track in and print it, then what can they do?

This farce basically demonstrates that they should have just straight up DQ’d Russia. I can’t even think of a more toothless punishment than this. The message is that everyone can just keep on juicing up and worst case is that you compete in the Olympics with an OC after your country name.

That would definitely be better, but it wouldn’t prevent NBC or Pravda from calling them Russian in reporting and tallying their total medals and reporting them.

If China had won more gold medals we’d have had a stronger argument for making PR a state. Instead, now China will be more motivated to take over HK and Taiwan.

Sdd that the Olympics are over, but at least I can go back to not caring about soccer for the next four years.

1 Like

Pl season starts in 5 days and the quality is 100x above olympics.

I enjoyed the Olympics, but I’m not going to be sad to get my sleep schedule a bit better under control moving forward :)

1 Like

I’ve been tracking the daily counts, and while new cases have skyrocketed during the Olympics, because a large percentage of the olds are already vaccinated the death count has remained low.

Also World Cup in like 14 months if you’re into internationals

I thought it might take weeks or months for NBC to make a lot of the Olympic content publicly available on YouTube but they seem to be doing a good job.

I just found a 3-hour video of the pole vault final that was uploaded a few days ago and I’m very much looking forward to watching it over the next few days during lunch. :+1:

I miss the Olympics.

1 Like

Only a little over 5 months until the next round :+1:

According to the covid thread we’re all going to be dead before then.

“Bad news for team ‘I’d like to leave my house every once in a while.’”

Paralympics are also starting in 5 days :wink:

i understand the feeling/opinion that it’s a farce, but don’t underestimate the result of sanctions based on just a few events. this was the worst Olympic showing for team ussr/russia/oar/roc in decades. it was so embarassing, russian tv didn’t even show most of it. someone tried to make money on it, and put most content behind paywalls or paid tv, which cratered ratings. the pipeline for athletes is thinner than ever before.

IOC banned all athletes that tested positive, and told other athletes to not train within the ministry of sport administration. a lot of athletes now live and train outside of russia, which amazingly is better for them, since living outside of moscow/stpb is actually pretty tough. all that funding putin is laundering through sport, and even less of it is going to end up helping athletes. this is very good news for usa/china medal counts over the next few olympics.

i understand that it feels toothless but in reality this is just the beginning, and will continue to hit russian athletics indefinitely until (hopefully) there’s a regime change and its sports schools can be rebuilt anew.

in short, this is much worse than banning miami from bowls for 5 years.

Elaine Thompson ran 10.54 in the 100m race in Oregon today. That puts her in reaching distance of Griffith-Joyner WR (10.49) which is not something I expected to happen in my life time.

DeGrasse smashed the Canadian national record to win his race in 9.74 which is like 15 hundreds of a second better than his olympic bronze medal result (which was his PB).

That Donovan Bailey Canadian PB (Atlanta Gold) had stood for 25 years

Damn! Is that track on a downhill slope?

I assume it’s the same track they run the us trials on. It will also host the 2022 world championship so looks promising.

I didn’t mention that Noah Lyles ran 19.52 in the 200m, which while is 0.02 slower than his PB, only 3 people ran faster than that ever (Bolt, Blake and Michael Johnson).

#Lyles fam.