I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Yeah, that was fantastic. I had completely written him off. Wasn’t even paying attention to his lane and then boom, gold.

There’s a Japanese Judoka in the 100k named Aaron Wolf. Something doesn’t sound right there

More or less surprising than the female swimmer from Hong Kong, Siobahn Haughey?

Judo has less scoring than soccer. If the each get 3 penalties do they both lose?

So I just found out today one of the girls who just silver medaled in synchronized diving did gymnastics with my sister years when they were kids. So basically along with my high school buddy’s little sister, that’s now two Olympians I have a tenuous connection with. Which just goes to show that knowing me or anybody in my family greatly increases your chances of competing in the Olympics.

1 Like

as in they both have 2 and get the 3rd at the same time? sounds unlikely but I guess it’s possible. The current judo scoring system is new, i dunno tbh. My guess is that everyone in the competition is disqualified and Canada wins all the medals.

ETA - I found a rule book of sorts and yeah, both are suppose to lose. Now what happens in a medal match, I don’t know.

• In the case of a double Hansoku-make (in regular time and golden score) as a
consequence of a third Shido both athletes will be disqualified from the competition.

1 Like

I was wondering because I was watching the Portuguese/ROC bout and they each got penalized for the same thing at the same time twice before a point was scored

Mixed medley racing is interesting. Do the separate genders have fixed strokes they swim? If it’s not fixed then tactically it is probably an interesting race

no they can choose whoever they want for each stroke

my 20 seconds of research led to the surprising realization that the 100m breaststroke has the largest difference between the the men and women WR. Freestyle has the smallest. It will be interesting to see what teams choose

1 Like

I like thinking about this stuff too but the reality is they’d lose. Any sport where the rulebook is thicker than a triscuit will have too much nuance for any noob to stroll in and be world class. For example seeing how our NBA basketball players are now losing at literally basketball, I also don’t need to see them moonlight at team handball and get clobbered by Lesotho or Transylvania or whoever

1 Like

This trap finals kind of sucks to watch. It is longer than the air pistol/rilfe and harder to follow. Would be nice if they could use the technology to make the trap at least somewhat clear. But cheers for San Marino bronze medalist

I am not really a fan of every water polo game I’m able to tune into being a heart breaker.

He’s a hafu (American father, Japanese mother) who was born and raised in Japan. Fairly common these days and a bunch of others like him (Hachimura in basketball, a few track athletes, etc.).

Got worn out from celebrating (see my earlier post on this).

1 Like

The #1 dude on the men’s side won a 7-set squeaker to get to the final.

He’s insane to watch. He just contorts his body so much to maximize the power and spin on each shot.

yeah the first semi between china and taiwan was elite.

they are very good at table tennis

getman dude needs to calm down when he wins a point

7th and final set for table tennis semifinal starting right now!

holy shit that rally was goat

1 Like

omg

1 Like