I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

No, it’s Tuesday morning right now.

I think this is helpful and I think it could be improved by including your timezone + a link.

2 Likes

You can even sort by Canadian content! (or medal events). Lots of rugby starting at 8pm ET

1 Like

This might have already been discussed up thread but holy shit. How much of a money loser is hosting an Olympics with no fans? Has to be brutal on locals and local businesses.

Surfing is the most boring thing ever. Been watching 10 minutes and they’re just paddling around not surfing

2 Likes

The big-wave surfing feature that just ended lol on the Olympic channel is cool. Halfmoon Bay.

i wonder why bowling isn’t an olympic sport. seems like a good fit. Snooker too. Weird that they leave out popular sports with pretty established championships and add made up stuff like 3x3 basketball

Also the 3x3 shit is really tilting because it’s obvious that every nation that has a basketball team in the Olympics can form a better 3x3 team than those who are actually competing. It’s like having a shorter swim race with deliberately slower swimmers.

3 Likes

This synchronized diving commentator really knows her shit. I see a dive and am like, “oh, that is a very good dive. Good job, diving Olympians.”

And in real time, she’s like, “oh that’s a major disappointment for the Chinese.” And then shows in slow motion replay how the jump was slightly off sync and the angles of entry were slightly off.

1 Like

There is huge variance in the quality of the commentators and there are some really good ones. I thought the Canadian swimming color commentator really knew his stuff and made watching swimming much more enjoyable. On the other hand I watched Judo and had no idea what was going on.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on in judo.

3 Likes

Nah they should have to shoot an apple off the top of a loved ones head.

I watched the women’s bronze medal match yesterday and had no clue. It looked like two young siblings slap fighting. “Get off me!” “I’m telling Mom!”

1 Like

Why? Judo is pretty straight forward. It was a more complicated in the old scoring system with 4 different score types + shidos. In a way it feels like they oversimplified it and now matches take much longer.

I can be the resident Judo for dummies (which is - i don’t know the name of any of the throws, but i understand what is happening) commentator if needed. A good rule of thumb is to start the name with a loud UCHI or OSHI and then mumble the rest,

2 Likes

So Tuesday was men’s prelim and Wednesday is women’s team finals? They alternate gender by days?

maybe like tennis

Lol “ROC.” GTFO

1 Like

gold and silver for GB in the 200m freestyle. Good thing it’s at 3 am so the Americans can watch their swimmer finish 6th on primetime.

now wr holder and olympic champion Ryan Murphy only gets bronze for the US in the 100m backstroke. Both “ROC’ers” take gold and silver.

Man this broadcast is AIDS AIDS AIDS

1 Like

Why is Steve Kornacki adding stress to my attempt to watch the Olympics?

I have the sound off.

2 Likes

The “people doing sports” to “everything else” ratio is fucking horrendous. “OK here’s 30 seconds of swimming followed by 20 minutes of conversations and commercials” fuck you