I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

this is so tilting. the reason she won’t compete in the 100m is because her trail results are cancelled. She won’t be actually suspended by the time the 100m occurs. it’s so dumb.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but aren’t the Euro golfers also deplorable pieces of shit in general? Do they really have more exceptions than American golfers?

https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1410980665940643840

That’s my quarterback!

3 Likes

Lol I’ve always wondered if the strategy was to hang back and hope they crash.

She should obviously be allowed to run as it’s an idiotic rule but how did she think she wouldn’t be tested? Like a 1:1,000,000 negative free roll.

Not the first time this has happened, there was some snowboarder who got boned too iirc

Just straight dumb dumbness all the way around.

That’s such an insane take on so many levels.

Like, she doesn’t understand the track and field community.
She doesn’t understand fake nails?
She doesn’t understand steroids.

1 Like

She seems to have a childlike understanding of steroids where you just go in the locker room, stick a needle in and then all of a sudden are 10% better at your sport.

Steroids are much, much less a thing now then the 80s because sports science/nutrition has caught up with the advantages of a needle.

Claiming flo-jo used roids isn’t even in the top 10 worst things in those tweets. The nails correlation is pretty high up there

1 Like

WAT? Natty athletes have not “caught up” to ones on the sauce. You know the people using that stuff also have the benefits of better training and nutrition? Various forms of doping give them an advantage above and beyond that.

1 Like

Less athletes test positive these days. You then must feel they’re just better at hiding their cheating?

Those tweets are just straight up white hood open racism. Imagine typing that.

Are you, uh, not familiar with Quillette?

1 Like

Do you have any data that indicates fewer athletes are testing positive? I don’t know if that is the case in raw counts, but perhaps as a percentage of total tests. Basically, my hypothesis is that there has been a lot more testing in the last 5-10 years and more people have been popped as a result.

The doping area has also had a fair amount of improvement since the 80s, though probably not on the same order of magnitude as science and nutrition research. But to approach your question, you can think of testing in two types of categories: in and out-of competition.

Out of competition testing is what it sounds like and it would be folks coming from a testing agency to a training hall, personal residence, etc. with the intent of obtaining a sample for testing. The overwhelming majority of countries do this very minimally and thus many athletes using PEDs don’t get caught. In fact, a lot of countries don’t even have anti-doping agencies and most of this is carried out by WADA. There is also likely a lot of shadiness in certain countries around who gets tested when they actually test someone, since countries do test some athletes to provide some façade of legitimacy. Americans are unique in that we have USADA which tests a lot athletes in a number of sports, and USADA has been ramping up testing quite a bit.

In competition is also what it sounds like in that it is testing that happens on the premises of a competition. The compounds people are using to dope are known chemicals that have known lifespans in the bloodstream. There is no reason an athlete that is doping should fail one of these tests and I have even heard in competition testing likened to an IQ test, meaning can the athlete and their trainers do basic math.

I wanted to add something like that earlier. Obviously doping happens. Russian athletes are currently suffering the consequences of the state sponsored program. But, that is how it usually happens now. Not like how it was happening in the late 90s in MLB.

Hi guys.

I will post this here in case anyone else is keen.

I run tipping comps in Australia each year and am running one for the Olympics this year.

I will provide a list of 40 questions, all of which have one answer, and you need to answer them as best you can. Each question is worth 10 points shared among whoever gets the question right. So if you are the only one to get the question correct, you get all 10 points for yourself. If 5 people get it right, those people get 2pts each and so on.

Entry fee is $20 AUD, and there is an optional $100 AUD sidebet for those who want it.

If anyone is interested in playing, PM me and I can sort things out. Can take payment via PPal for the non-Australians here.

Apologies for the Australian slant to the questions, its obviously aimed the 95% of my friends who are from here

QUESTIONS

1 SOFTBALL -2 till 4 21st-27th July 7pm GM game Where will Australia place in the women’s Softball tournament (Gold, Silver, Bronze, 4th, 5th or 6th)
2 SOCCER -2, 1, 4 21st, 24th, 27th 7pm, 4:30pm, 4pm How many goals will the Australian Women’s Soccer team score in the Group Stage (3 matches vs Sweden, USA, NZ)
3 CYCLING 1 24th July 10am-5:15pm Which country will win GOLD in the Men’s Road Race
4 SWIMMING 3 26th July 9:30am-11:40am Which country will win SILVER in the Men’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay
5 SWIMMING 4 27th July 9:30am-11:40am Which nationality will win GOLD in the Men’s 200m Freestyle
6 TRIATHLON 4 27-Jul 5:30pm Which country will win the Women’s Triathlon Race
7 RUGBY 7’s D3-D5 29th-31st July 8-11 then 3:30-6 Daily Which Medal will Australia win in Women’s Rugby 7’s (Gold, Silver, Bronze or none)
8 BMX CYCLING 7 30th July 9am-11am Which Nation will win the Men’s BMX Cycling Race
9 ROWING D0-D7 23rd-30th July 7:30am Each Day Aside from Great Britain, which country will top medal table in Rowing
10 ARCHERY 8 31st July 1:45pm-4:20pm Which nation will win the GOLD in Men’s Individual Archery
11 ATHLETICS 8 31st July 6pm Who will win the 4x400m Mixed Relay in Athletics (USA, Jamaica or Other)
12 TENNIS 1 to 8 24th-31st July Various How far will Ash Barty go in Women’s Tennis (1st Rnd, 2nd Rnd, 3rd Rnd, QFs, 4th, Bronze, Silver, Gold) (If doesn’t play Olympics question is ignored)
13 RUGBY 7’s D6-D8 26th-28th July 8-11 then 3:30-6 Daily Which nation will win GOLD in the Men’s Rugby 7’s
14 GOLF D6-D9 29th J-1st Aug 6:30am-3pm Each Day Which nation will win the GOLD in Men’s Golf
15 SWIMMING 1 to 9 24th J-1st Aug Various How many Gold Medals will Australia win in Swimming (inc long distance)
16 ATHLETICS 9 1st August 6pm What will be the winning time in the Men’s 100m sprint (two decimal places)
17 DIVING D2-D13 25th J-5th Aug Various Outside of China, which nation will finish highest on the Diving Medal Table (Great Britain in 2016)
18 CYCLING 13 5th August 2:30pm-6pm Which nation will win the Men’s Omnium in Cycling
19 BEACH VOLLEYBALL 14 6th August 9am-11.50am Which continental zone will win the Women’s Beach Volleyball tournament (North America, South America, Europe or Other)
20 SOCCER 14 6th August 10am Which zone wins the Women’s Soccer tournament (North America (USA/CAN), Europe (GB/NED/SWE) Asia (AUS/JPN/CHN) or other (NZ/CHI/ZAM/BRA)
21 HOCKEY 14 6th August 6pm Which country will win the Men’s Hockey Tournament
22 HOCKEY 15 7th August 6pm Where will the Hockeyroos (Aus women’s team) finish (Gold, Silver, Bronze, 4th, QFs or miss KO stage)
23 BASEBALL 15 7th August 6pm Which country will win the Men’s Baseball (USA, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, Dominican Republic or Israel)
24 ATHLETICS 15 7th August 6:50pm Aside from USA and Jamaica, which country will finish highest in the Mens 4x100m Sprint
25 BASKETBALL 15 7th August 7pm Which team will win the SILVER MEDAL in Men’s Basketball
26 BASKETBALL 15 7th August 7pm Which of these players scores the most points for Team USA (D. Booker, D. Lillard, K. Durant, B. Beal, J. Tatum, K. Middleton)
27 SOCCER 15 7th August 7:30pm Which nation wins the Men’s Soccer Tournament
28 ATHLETICS 15 7th August 8pm How will Stewart McSweyn go in the Mens 1500m (Gold, Silver, Bronze, 4-6th, 7-9th, 10th-12th or miss final)
29 HANDBALL 15 7th August 8pm Which nation will win Gold in Men’s Handball
30 CYCLING 16 8th August 9am-12.15pm Which nation will win the Women’s Sprint Cycling Race
31 BASKETBALL 16 8th August 10:30am The Australian women basketball team will win which medal in the Olympics (Gold, Silver, Bronze or none)
32 WATER POLO 16 8th August 3:30pm Which nation will win the Men’s Waterpolo Tournament
33 ATHLETICS 16 8th August N/A How many total medals will Australia win in Athletics (2 in 2016)
34 ATHLETICS 16 8th August N/A Which country outside of the USA, Kenya and Jamaica will finish highest on the Athletics Medal Tally (China in 2016)
35 OVERALL 16 Which nation will finish 8th on the overall Medal Tally (South Korea in 2016)
36 OVERALL 16 Where will Australia finish on the overall Medal Tally in 2021 (10th in 2016)
37 OVERALL 16 How many Gold Medals will USA win (less than 25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46-50, 51-55, 56-60, 61+) (46 in 2016)
38 OVERALL 16 Exactly how many Gold Medals will New Zealand win (4 in 2016)
39 OVERALL 16 How many Gold Medals will Great Britain win (less than 15, 16-18, 19-21, 22-24, 25-27, 28-30, 31-33, 34-36, 37+) (27 in 2016)
40 OVERALL 16 Exactly how many GOLD MEDALS will Australia win overall at the 2021 Olympics (8 in 2016)

I can send the questions in an excel spreadsheet to anyone who wants it.

Cheers guys, and enjoy the games. Best two weeks of sports for sure.

2 Likes

I’d like to know how the NBA guys are getting around it? Lebatard was talking yesterday about how the NBA no longer tests for it, and Durant is a “heavy” user. How did Richardson get nailed yet these guys are skating, allegedly?

Also how do we even field a skateboarding squad?

At least part of the reason is that the World Anti-Doping standards have two categories of substances. (A) Ones that are banned at all times. And (B) Ones that are only banned “in competition.” [Only a certain time period directly surrounding the meet/game/etc.] Pot falls in the second category.

Richardson smoked right around the Olympic Trials so she was within the “competition” window. The NBA guys are probably only considered in competition when they are actively playing with their national teams, so they have a relatively defined window where they know they need to stay clean. Even snowboarders have a better chance to avoid detection because they’re probably not going to get tested as often as a track athlete (b/c most of the big track meets tend to follow IOC/WADA testing)

3 Likes