I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Couldn’t agree more. At least the soccer has made some attempt to keep it from just being the top players although that’s almost certainly down to the fact their clubs would tell the Olympics to fuck off.

Disagree. These guys want to win bad for their country

You know it eats at Federer to see that golden slam list and all his competition is on it.

I might be wrong, but I thought if someone was a real threat to ship two events, then their country will sometimes be able to push the organizers to schedule so that it is possible. Anyone know if that is a real thing that happens?

oh I don’t mean to shit on the competitors, I absolutely believe they’re out to win, it’s just that I don’t have a shortage of opportunity to see them whenver I want, we already know who is good at this stuff. I want to see the Joe Nobodies who have sunk their entire lives into shot put or rowing and get basically nothing out of it beyond the actual competition and maybe 15 minutes on a wheaties box.

2 Likes

Yup.

If the Olympics isn’t the most prestigious thing in your sport, it can GTFO.

2 Likes

Depends. I couldnt care less about all these shooting events other than archery. At least in Biathlon they have to ski in between. What I am looking forward the most is the olympic ice hockey tournament with all the nhl stars because its the only chance to see all our top players playing for my country as the world championships are usually during the playoffs.
But for me its at least sport. All these horse events could be scrapped as well as there is enough animal abuse.
I think there are a lot of people who wouldnt want to miss the 92 basketball dream team. Yes these are superstars but a lot of the olympians will never get closer to these kind of athletes. If you dont win a medal you are forgotten within weeks.

I can kinda get behind these, as an NHL or NBA title isn’t the same thing.

The corresponding national team based tournaments (IIHF and FIBA championships) are clearly a tier lower. Probably everyone would rather have an Olympic medal than win those.

That isn’t true with soccer, tennis or golf. The World Cup, Wimbledon and The Masters are all way more prestigious and desired by the competitors in those respective sports than an Olympic gold.

1 Like

yeah no interest in these and agree the entire endeavor should probably be abolished though I gotta say putting the equestrian events at Versailles was a masterstroke, the french really are expert at this sort of showmanship

I think this Olympics has been so much better than 3 years ago and I think there’s two main reasons why.

1 is what you hit on, where having the Olympics set against the backdrop setting of all of this fascinating human history just adds a context that makes it feel bigger than this current moment.

2 is that even a year and a half after Covid we were all just too online and cynical about everything.

1 Like

Guillotine would also have been culturally appropriate

1 Like

no way dude, i’ve watched probably 2 hours’ worth of dressage :rofl:

Toyko didn’t have fascinating human history?

Olympic Ice Hockey is amazing, and the only best on best tournament in existence. (When the Nhl pulls it’s head out of it’s ass and suspends the season).

2 Likes

I don’t recall them using it the same way Paris has.

1 Like

Basketball has the potential to be but because of the US dominance its pretty much a foregone conclusion and not really viewed as much of an accomplishment, when a players career is over the Olympic titles are pretty much just a footnote to their career and the best players (Lebron, Curry) regularly skip the Olympics and are only in Paris this time because its their last shot. In terms of what it means to a player’s career I would say

Hockey > Tennis > Golf > Basketball > Soccer

the tennis and golf today both felt like 5th slams/majors, Scheffler’s win today is pretty much on par with his Players Championship victory earlier in the season. Novak and Carlos were both very emotional after their match and you could tell how much Novak wanted it. Novak winning the gold this year is going to do >>>>> more for his career than Lebron winning a gold is for his career.

first time we haven’t won the 4x100 medley relay in 40+ years? meh

WTF, Marchand got smoked by over a half second by the Chinese dude. I was expecting him to breeze past everyone.

1 Like

daydreaming… what’s better for running away from cops? 100m speed or 400/800m speed?

like on one hand, if i see how fast the 100m speed is i’m giving up. on the other, i’d also get into a car to continue the chase. 400/800m speed probably gets away before i’m in drive.

also, i’m realizing most of these track guys ride the opening ceremony boat, have sex for a week, run one heat for 58 seconds, finish 7th and get back to fuckin’ for another week lmao.

1 Like

American pommel horse guy has it all figured out. Only do 1 apparatus and catch some z’s during teammates’ events so you optimize time for Olympic Village sex.

1 Like