I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Banned by a Russian head of a federation who was later canned for corruption. Sorry not sorry, but Im going to need something more concrete than the word of a corrupt politician out of one of the most transphobic countries on earth.

She is in compliance with current olympic rules and regs. Not sure why that isnt enough

My best friend from high school died five years ago. Earlier this year, his best friend from college - who I hung out with several times and with whom I was the last to shovel dirt on our friend’s grave - got in touch with me on Facebook. Thought it was great. I like him, so it was nice that we could connect.

He just made an anti-trans post about that boxer. Sigh. Oh well.

1 Like

Underwater swimming was Olympic once Swimming at the 1900 Summer Olympics – Men's underwater swimming - Wikipedia

Very poorly timed meeting on my calendar for right when Biles will be finishing on floor exercise.

Great battle between Biles and Andrade here.

The IAAF has rules in place for hermaphrodites specifically in the 400 and 800m races since they have a significant advantage in those based on a rather large study they did. That carries over to the Olympics. I don’t know if she is or isn’t or if hermaphrodites have a large natural competitive advantage in boxing.

I assum she’s probably good to compete and that it shouldn’t be controversial, but I’m just trying to understand what the controversy is before I have to think if I should have a personal opinion.

Your next B-movie assassin.

2 Likes

Huge floor routine for Andrade. Bigly pressure on Biles.

Edit: Think she got it. (She seems to think so too).

GOAT

I was half watching, but to the untrained eye Biles’ routine didn’t seem a full point better than Andrade. But I guess her skills are that much more difficult.

Edit: Looks like her difficulty score was a full point higher. So makes sense that it “looked” like they performed about equally.

Pretty incredible to watch the best in the world do their thing. Especially one who survived a run in with the yipps

2 Likes

Four years is a long time, but right now it sure feels like if she wanted to she could come back at age 31 and GOAT it up again.

I’m a very good underwater swimmer, I like to go on vacation and see if I can go the length of the pool underwater, or multiple times if it’s a shorter pool. Kids get a kick out of it, though my 13 year old no longer cares.

One hotel had a nice lap pool, very long, obviously not Olympic length. I did a full length underwater, and when I popped up, the lifeguard deadpanned, “I was getting nervous.”

2 Likes

Congrats to Suni Lee also for getting on the podium once again after a lot of health issues.

3 Likes

So many gutless chokes in men’s tennis

Zverev
Tsitsipas

God damn up 4-0 and 5-3 40-love and can’t close the set vs Novak

He was also up 2 sets to love a few years ago on the same court in the final and choked that.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Why wasn’t he in Butler PA

Love that the refs in 3x3 wear shorts and a tank, because I guess it’s like, just a more casual basketball game?

China normally picks up almost all gold in the Olympics with tabletennis. They have all women gold medals and only Sweden and South Korea have a mens gold. Even in the European Championships almost all medals go to former Chinese nationals.

“Intersex” is the much preferred term here, as “hermaphrodite” can be pejorative and refer to specifically non-binary genital morphology, while “intersex” encompasses the many ways in which someone’s biology may not conform to the usual binary. It sounds like the Algerian boxer may be XY, although there is some murkiness there, as that report comes from the IBA, which is pretty corrupt and not necessarily reliable. She was born with a female body and lived her whole life as female and, assuming she is XY, probably had no idea about that even being a possibility until just recently.

There is actually more than one way for a person to have an XY karyotype and a female body plan. Some women who are XY can have their own children. Biology is weird and wild. Bigots suck. Anyone who thinks this woman shouldn’t get to play in women’s sports does not give two shits about the sanctity of women’s sports.

6 Likes