I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

So all these records are getting broken over the years because of advances in pool technology (i.e. deeper pools)?

Nope, advances in training/technique number one driver. Advances in suit technology number two. But, if you want to go low, combine those two with a more normal depth pool that isn’t punitive.

Same for track and field - records get broken because the runners get faster. But, you’re still going to see that progression on the tracks with the fastest compounds/surfaces (and in some events at the limits of acceptable wind conditions).

its more that this particular pool is slower than most other standard olympic pools

Canada had to have been using drones to pull these 2 massive women’s rugby 7s upsets. On to the final!

1 Like

USA 3v3 basketball going to be off to a slow start… women blew a 5-0 lead to lose by 4. and the men play Serbia later today, who are the best.

Cue “we’d win every one if LeBorn, Durant, etc. played!”

1 Like

Fun Olympics history fact of the day:

2 Likes

Who are the players on the 3x3 teams? Are they just worse (w)NBA/ex-(w)NBA players? Or players who never made it to the pros and have decided to dedicate themselves to the mastery of 3x3 basketball?

1 Like

I’m pretty impressed NBC is carrying the gymnastics live in the morning/afternoon on the main network. I don’t recall them doing this in the past, and risk siphoning away from their primetime numbers.

1 Like

JIMMER BABY!

serious answer i think it’s a lot of tweener size guys that may not have had the right size and speed combo for the professional leagues. rosters look like a lot of 6’5"-6’6" guys that arent sharp shooters. or 6’8"-6’9" guys that arent quite tall enough to be NBA stretch bigs but played stretch big their whole european basketball career.

but Jimmer is on the US team so that’s fun.

I know for the US women, they’re current or recent WNBA players who’ve had experience in the 3x3 program.

Cameron Brink (#2 in the WNBA draft behind Caitlin Clark) was supposed to be playing until she tore her ACL last month.

1 Like

WOW wow WOW!

US women steal bronze in women’s rugby at the literal death on a nearly full field breakaway… definitely undeserved based on the run of play.

5 Likes

Goddamit. My plan is I leave the TV on NBC and when I wake up I rewind the DVR to the beginning of the buffer, an hour in the past. Then I can watch and skip commercials.

But instead I just got fucked by the emergency broadcast system test, which wiped out my buffer. ARGH

There don’t seem to be nearly as many commercials when they’re showing the meet live as they do in their primetime production.

https://x.com/_Zeets/status/1818343135447335294

1 Like

All those little girls watching their gymnastics training mate and hero got me a little verklempt.

Simone seems to give herself such little margin for error on stepping OOB. I guess that’s by necessity. They should make the mat bigger for her.

USA#1!

What’s with the guy trying to stop the photogs from taking pictures?