How Old Are You (now with How Tall are You poll in post 92)

Alternate response: Prom night!

Too

It’s been the odd decades that hit me hardest.

I thought life after 30 didn’t matter. I’d be dead and some old guy would take my place. When I realized I was still me, that was a crisis.

50 is a big deal. A lot of 44-year-old women who are already feeling it about their age are just going to feel old as the hills to date someone over 50. It really feels like a dividing line.

I’m hoping 60 is like 40 and no big deal. I know 70 is the one that really hit my dad hard.

At 6’1 I can handle being in the company of one guy taller than me. But being on an elevator with 4 guys taller than me makes me physically uncomfortable.

Let’s get this 20 option poll out of the way.

How Tall are you?
  • 5’0” or less
  • 5’1”
  • 5’2”
  • 5’3”
  • 5’4”
  • 5’5”
  • 5’6”
  • 5’7”
  • 5’8”
  • 5’9”
  • 5’10”
  • 5’11”
  • 6’0”
  • 6’1”
  • 6’2”
  • 6’3”
  • 6’4”
  • 6’5”
  • 6’6”
  • 6’7”+

0 voters

Agree.

Disagree.

1 Like

40 bothered me but 50 was nothing for some reason. Probably because by then I could barely remember how old I was without thinking about it.

1 Like

1 Like

Redondo and Manhattan Beach high schools attract ringer volleyball players from around the country. Bumping into 3 girls over 6’4" at the grocery store is a very weird feeling too.

1 Like

Second tallest here so far

5’11” crushing the early polling, but a new contender in 6’2” shows up.

I always remembered a very special episode of Full House where Danny was all up in his sads about turning 30. Up until my mid-twenties I assumed that was going to be the case but 30 came and passed and I felt no different from any other year, I still had all my hair and had been in the best shape of my life just a year or two prior.

At 40, I still have all my hair, I’m definitely not in my best shape ever but still don’t feel much different physically than any other time. Don’t tangibly feel any real effects of aging yet but 40 is a number I can’t deny, seems resounding and gives me urgency to start getting all my affairs in total order.

I think one of the cruel jokes of aging is that you mostly feel the same other than being about to die.

1 Like

I do not in any way feel the same in my fifties that I did up to about age 45 or so.

1 Like

I have two friends that’s are 7 footers. Besides getting a scholarship to play hoops there’s no way I’d want to be that tall.

1 Like

Oh, that’s bad news.

Although the significance might miss you at the time, a big moment in your life is the first time you hear yourself doing an involuntary “old person” groan as you bend down and pick something up. That’s usually some time in your 50s.

I worked a job talking to a lot of old people with money (and some without). There’s a real mix of how it goes down.

I’m anticipating this. I’m assuming there’s a lot of factors at play here.

The first time I genuinely yelled “My hip!” sent me into a fit of laughter I’ve still not recovered from.

3 Likes