Home improvement

Are you 100% sure those outlets were working before the outage?

Firmly turn off and then on all breakers. (It’s possible breakers break when this happens, especially (obviously) old breakers. I release myself of all liability. So don’t do this if you’ll be mad if they break.)

Are you sure those outlets are not on a switch that is off?

Go ahead and test and reset all gfis just for the heck of it.

This an easy understand. Plumber may be ok guy but someone fucked something up yhat they charged you full for. You should absolutely NOT pay any more money than the 3 original hrs.

You paid very good $$ to get something fixed by a professional. If they messed something up it’s on them! Not you. After all, that’s exactly why you shelled out the big bucks, right…?

That company boss is sharking you and hoping you’ll be a wimp.

Tell him to fuck off after he gets fixed what you paid his company to get fixed. [please use those exact words if poss…].
Be aggressive, cos he knows he’s liable but is hoping to bully you into shelling out some of the $$ for the fuck up that’s totally on them.

1 Like

7 Likes

what was the initial repair?

Doesn’t even matter.
Contractor (note the word) had some professional employee eff it up and then tried to bill the customer for the contractors professional employee effing it up.

It’s not a big bad on the professional employee - we all eff up sometimes. It’s on the contractor/employer being a greedy shark exploitative bastard for trying to palm the occasional flaw of his co’s service onto the customer.

So fuck him!

I suspect Rivaldo is asking at least partly out of professional curiosity.

1 Like

Sorry. I know.
But I was just responding in a fuck this obvious asshole trying to shirk responsibility/further profit from his customers.

All necessary apologies swifted to Rivaldo!

Heh, speaking of plumbing fuckups, I got a good one. The bathroom that’s off my living room, its toilet flushes hot water. We it took us forever to notice, because the water was always cold by the time it was flushed, and by that time we had no grounds to complain to the sellers. I assume it’s been that way since the 2008 remodel and they never noticed at all. But, if you take the lid of the tank and flush, it’s pretty easy to tell it’s refilling with hot water. Haven’t yet gotten a quote for how much it might take to correct vs. how much is getting wasted in the gas bill for it.

1 Like

Wait, you can complain to sellers about things like this? Isn’t that the point of the inspection?

Yeah, I mean, the inspection didn’t catch it, and it was almost a year after closure that we did.

But even if you caught it the day after you closed, what could you do?

Wookie: Hey, this toilet is flushing hot water
Seller: I don’t know anything about that or I would have disclosed it. I guess that’s why we have inspections. Good luck. I hope you work it out.

Does the conversation go any other way?

No. I guess I just worded it badly.

It could be a problem with the toilet flapper or valve leaking. Pretty cheap and easy to replace those. Newer toilets mix in some hot water to prevent sweating. Obviously could also just be hooked up incorrectly but I would check that first before calling a plumber.

1 Like

The water coming into the tank is not just warm, but hot. It’s definitely not a flapper issue.

Maybe you could try going after the inspector. I doubt that would work though. I hear it’s nearly impossible to hold a home inspector accountable for anything. @zikzak , would you say that is accurate?

I think you might be overestimating my desire to go after anyone. I’m mainly just loling at this substantial fuckup that I can’t really do anything about without considerable expense, and how multiple parties failed to find it for years. I’m at peace with the fact that I have no recourse.

I wouldn’t expect you to want to. I was hoping you would do it for science. I would love reading that trip report. It would absolutely get a coveted Melkerson heart.

1 Like

How much do you reckon this is costing you if you just don’t fix it? I can’t even begin to estimate the increase in energy bill, I’d believe anything no matter how high or low.

House inspector isn’t going to be taking the temperature in the toilet bowl or tank. They will be looking for leaks and moisture problems and stuff like that. I have only a couple times seen toilets plumbed in wrong and it does happen but the majority of time it’s failed flapper or valve.

Well, per this:

It’s a little over a penny to heat a gallon of water with a natural gas hot water heater. Our toilet is a two-function toilet, 1 gallon per flush in “liquid” mode, 1.6 gpf in solid mode. People have the option to walk down the hall to another bathroom. So maybe call it a penny a day above the cold water cost? Hard to imagine that a proper fix is less than $1000, considering the plumbing, dry wall, and labor. So, it’d take about 273 years to recoup the cost of the fix in flushes. Even being off by a factor of ten in the cost of the flushes, the cost of the fix, or some combination of both means 27 years to recoup.