Home improvement

I admire your commitment to fixing things rather than purchasing new ones. … this plan doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

2 Likes

On the other hand, according to comic books the radiation should make her a superhero. Of supervillain.

Maybe the replacement microwave part was sent in error from a UFO testing facility, when a bored researcher started a drop shipping business on the side. Hilarity ensues.

That all makes sense but none of it explains wrapping the microwave in foil.

I like that you are simultaneously worried about radiation exposure but also not going to spend $100~.

1 Like

Last time I had a broken microwave, I brought it to the small appliance repair guys at the senior center. I left my phone number, but they never got back to me (apparently they copied the number wrong). I went in a couple of months later, and talked to the guy who fixed it. He worked on the original microwave ovens at Raytheon, so I guess I picked the right place.

3 Likes

Yep. Should be ok. Right where the T&P threads to the heater, there must be a little cove of sorts, that isn’t disturbed by the introduction and displacement of water… that’s the small amount of rusty water, until you flush it more

Do you have an expansion tank near the top of the heater, also how old is the heater and has this ever happened before?

1 Like

ok then. it should be good to go

1 Like

Got home from Atlanta and my place smelled a little weird. Thought maybe it was the neighbors below me or something.

Was going to go to bed early and was watching a movie in bed and my place started smoking. The heater under the kitchen sink was malfunctioning or something and almost started a fire.

If I had gone straight to Nashville like I almost did instead of coming home for a few days my place would likely be gone.

2 Likes

Rent. Currently without renter’s insurance. Getting that today though lol.

That looks like it’s been down there since this place was built. Not sure if they should have been inspecting them or not.

Last summer the city did a rental inspection and the bathroom fan was locking up. Instead of buying a new $20-30 fan my landlord must have sprayed lubricant on it because it locked up again the next time the city inspector came to check it a week later. He replaced it the 2nd time. I need to buy a place.

Update on the floors. We couldn’t make up our minds on what to put down on flooring but the carpets were pretty nasty so our least common denominator was to rip up the carpets and paint the concrete with the goal of laying down flooring at a more appropriate time.

I have a wall anchor that supports a curtain and the anchor is failing. See pics below. Do you guys know how to fix this? It actually amazed me that it is supporting the weight if the curtain in its current state.

I think in a case like this the answer is always toggle bolt

2 Likes

It seems like it was likely installed with a toggle bolt which the drywall has failed to support. I’ll have to figure out how to replace it. The challenge is the only logical step I can think of is to yank the whole thing out of the wall but that seems like a bad idea.

Another job for house husband imo.

1 Like

This sounds like a job for @zikzak

Haven’t really been following this thread for a few months. Whatever the problem is, split the difference and caulk it.

1 Like

OK, I looked at the curtain pics. Yeah, there aren’t any anchors that are going to hold that up long-term in just drywall. Either move the base to a stud or install blocking like MaxCut suggested. There’s going to be drywall patching no matter what you do so I wouldn’t worry about yanking it out and making a bigger hole.

Thanks team, I’ll give it a try after I get permission from my wife to make a hole in the wall. If I just take it down and make a big hole in the wall without talking to her first I will be exposed to DEFCON 1 level eye rolls.

3 Likes

If you’d like to reach DEFCON 2 levels, just make sure throw in a #BuildBackBetter and maybe a “working hard” while completing the task.

1 Like