Home improvement

Better shot. Rock broke 1 pane.

Yeah IDK quote we got once a few years ago for entire bay window (3) was like 11k and we said fuck it. It’s almost certainly the original from 1981 and the last one we haven’t replaced so yeah we’ll have that going for us.

That’s an awful lot for labor. A really nice bay window costs about $3k.

yeah I’m not sure they didn’t think to chop the whole thing off? IDK. Getting some quotes this week.

If possible you should try to find a reputable general contractor who does lots of different types of work. Companies that just do windows tend to be super scammy They will mark up cheap vinyl windows 300-400% and blatantly lie about the quality.

Yep. Pretty much all the scammy companies that did solar did a few other specific things like tex-cote and windows. Probably a lot of vinyl siding in other parts of the country. I think the thing they all have in common is expensive enough, don’t require a lot of planning and they can be done in a few days.

Scammy vinyl siding seems to be a thing of the past. It’s ubiquitous and inexpensive now, and everybody knows how to install it. I do remember when the industry was full of shady salesmen though.

This is interesting, like we used these guys for last ones seemed fine? https://www.pella.com/ Not sure where to get “good windows”.

pella is a giant distributor

See I’m in the right thread to learn things!

I managed to turn a 30min garbage disposal replacemenr into a 2-day ordeal… all because i was using the wrong length supplied screws

1 Like

also I’m going to shock you here, the wife handles most of this shit because I’m lazy

Too bad @JohnnyTruant isn’t around. Didn’t he used to be a professional window installer?

Yeah, Pella is a window manufacturer. They don’t do the installation. They’re decent mid-grade windows ranging from fairly inexpensive vinyl to not too expensive wood clad. Slightly better than a Jeld-Wen, not quite as nice as an Andersen. Anybody selling you one of those three brands isn’t selling you junk. But it sure as heck shouldn’t cost 3x the window for labor.

1 Like

Cool thanks if andersen is the way to go I’ll contact them I live like 50 miles from them. I’ll vigorously question the wife about the 11k estimate and report back.

We were curious about the cost to replace our backdoor slider so we had Renewal by Anderson give us a quote and it was around $10k, said fuck that and haven’t bothered looking elsewhere since. I find it hard to believe I couldn’t get it done for a third of that price using the same product.

If you contact a window and door manufacturer they’re going to pass you through to a local installer who is going to charge insurance rates, plus whatever referral fee they need to kick back to the manufacturer. The bigger the outfit you contact, the more worthless middlemen there will be taking a cut for doing nothing. Ideally, the person who gives you a price for the job should be the same person who’s going to be on site swinging a hammer. You may not be able to find exactly that, but the closer you can get the better.

If you can’t find a good local contractor by networking with friends, family, and co-workers, your next best bet would be to go to a local lumber yard/building supply company and ask them for recommendations. They will probably have a list of contractors who at a minimum aren’t complete clowns. Heavy emphasis on local, NOT Home Depot, Lowes, etc. You’re looking for an independent place that has large piles of lumber and their own trucks to deliver it. They will also probably have a smallish retail store with hardware and tools, and maybe a modest showroom for kitchen cabinets, millwork, etc. These places exist all over N. America.

2 Likes

This. I’ve installed lots of solar directly for customers for $X and lots for other customers who got to me through another party who paid up to $2X.

Hmm well another 12k quote from pella. Said they don’t do one pane and would have to redo the whole thing. Insurance deductible is 3.5k at least.

If it’s an insurance claim I guess it doesn’t really matter since you’re paying the deductible no matter what. But I’d still contact somebody local because unless that window is like 12 feet wide or there are crazy complications I don’t know about, those prices are seriously lol.

You can also try a local glass company. They could probably just replace the insulated glass unit and leave everything else alone.