Home improvement

Contractor in CA they talked to about qualifying the home owner is 100% right. You should not be involved in a deal if you know the HO can’t pay the loan and they are headed for disaster, but not knowing that it’s not even your business. It was Ygrene’s business in that case. If someone tells me they are getting financing from a bank, I don’t ask for their tax returns so I can double check the underwriter.

Ygrene selecting contractors to be in their program was not a check to see that you are unscrupulous enough. I went through the process and it wasn’t like hard or anything, but it was in the other direction. I don’t recall the details, but you have to be in the business for some time, show proof of jobs completed, have insurance and bonding and license in good standing. Stuff like that.

Yeah, he’s just wrong. I mean he could just say “should secured loans on houses be banned?” and maybe the answer is yes. It is what makes the loan 8% instead of 20% though. Should it be illegal to charge interest? Maybe. But those are the real questions here. Not PACE.

:+1:

Great stuff microbet!

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been thinking about this while walking the dog and getting a little pissed. Oliver at one point was saying meathead contractors aren’t the right people to explain finance. No offense, they can do tile work. Later he’s blaming a contractor for passing the buck for saying the finance company should explain the financing.

Yeah, that part was a bit unfair, imo. I think the problem is that the correct argument was not “I’m not passing the buck”, but instead “I can’t pass the buck if I never had it or was supposed to have it in the first place. Financing issues are the responsibility of the financing company. I never had anything to do with those nor should I have”.

But that distinction is not easy to make with a camera in your face.

1 Like

Yes, this is correct.

1 Like

Holy mother of God is this slowwww going. Finally finished the floor, caulking the imperfect seams between the peel-and-stick tiles and installing the transition strip

4 Likes

lol

Watcha think, @anon46587892

Toilet tank will obscure that opening, and I might put a lil access panel there, in case they want to install a clean out behind the stool

3 Likes

Deep in the hood of KCMO, we invite you to luxuriate at Rivaldo AirBnB errr.

10 Likes

@Rivaldo this sucks. I’ve been at it for half an hour and I’ve barely made a dent. Come finish it for me.

3 Likes

you are going to need a bigger torch. jaws.gif

not really, i don’t know what i’m talking about, but one rule i have is hire for anything that has to do with non-pvc pipes. i used to sweat copper piping myself, but i may no longer want to bother with that either.

1 Like

The correct answer was “beat the shit out of it” + some creative application of ratcheting tie downs.

3 Likes

No biggie so long as you don’t turn it into dust. Or just go right over it.

1 Like

you were trying to liquify the lead? you know of Diablo sawzall blades? the Game Changer!

1 Like

I called the city and they scared the crap out of me re: asbestos in my 50s vinyl floor so I went over it. It meant an uneven transition between rooms so I put 450sf of 3/8" plywood on the LR floor to even it out

2 Likes

1 Like

yeah. a little silicone even

1 Like

Initially yes I was trying to melt it out of there, but being bonded to an enormous cast iron heat sink made that annoyingly slow. I didn’t want to cut it because I wanted a clean hub. Anyway, bashing the crap out of it worked.

@surf try putting a dab of silicone caulk between the two pieces next time you snap it back into place.

dammit!

2 Likes