Home improvement

I see an awful lot of sanding in your future.

2 Likes

Lol

It’s a textured wall finish, jackass

Heh, I forgot there are parts of the country that still do that.

1 Like

the wall appears to be carrying some subcutaneous fat, with definite loss of muscle tone

Need some advice in addressing moisture in an old (100+ years) basement. … looks like moisture coming up from the ground, through the foundation and/or dirt. Found some rotten subfloor with pooled water below.

I bought a basic pump and pumped out the water. Initially it was several gallons. The flooringing in this spot is a wooden substructure, with wood plywood over it (that rotted). Seems simple enough to remove the plywood and rebuild the subfloor. Installing a permanent sump pump may be necessaery …

But there is a definite moisture issue that needs addressing. … As 1st time a homeowner likely facing a persistent issue (and not yet ready to dive into long-term solutions that I assume could include trenching/drainage) …

Do I buy one or two large residential dehumidifers? Something like this?

Or step it up to a commercial unit?

Below is assuming that having enough water to pump out is seasonal and rare, and that it is something you can live with. If you have standing water on a regular basis then moisture isn’t really your issue and you’re going to need more involved solutions that likely require digging out the outside of the foundation and addressing drainage on the property surrounding the house.

Put down 6 mil plastic sheeting first before you rebuild the subfloor. That's the current practice even for poured concrete basement floors.

Regular dehumidifier should be fine. My basement is also old with a crappy floor and damp as hell and that’s all I need to keep humidity levels below 60%. Biggest issue with a dehumidifier is being able to drain it somewhere so you don’t have to constantly empty it.

1 Like

@zikzak same wall, improved eh?

3 Likes

Gonna start flipping houses, I’m such a pro now.

1 Like

We sold our suburban mid-century house and moved to an apartment in the city. Now we’re buying a 200-year-old house in the country for a vacation/weekend place. It 's not a fixer-upper, but it’s going to have its share of projects.

One is attic insulation, as we are making the seller remove the old vermiculite insulation, which is tainted with asbestos. What’s a good choice for insulation material? Insulate the roof, the attic floor, or both?

1 Like

Sexy!

1 Like

Olive is supervising the kitchen remodel. Will have before and after pictures at some point. There used to be a wall there.

8 Likes

Olive approves. Now there is one fewer barrier between Olive and food. Good reno!

2 Likes

Insulating the attic floor is more energy efficient because now you aren’t heating the attic, especially if you don’t have any real plans to use the attic. The cheapest/easiest/most efficient way to insulate is just to blow in insulation. It can be done pretty easily yourself, the big box hardware stores all rent blowers. It’s a 2-person job, one to feed the machine, and one person in the attic spraying insulation around with what feels like an oversized fire hose. There’s plenty of websites online that calculate the thickness you should have for your climate, but when in doubt, more is better.

If it is a usable attic now you’re in insulating the ceiling territory. Most people use that roll on pink shit that scratches the hell out of your skin.

2 Likes

Agree with what Koss said. Also, insulating the roof can decrease the lifespan of your shingles and encourage ice dams, and having a well vented cold attic helps prevent condensation issues.

2 Likes

Shopping for appliances is exhausting.

1 Like

Follow up on this from a few months back. Tried to clean out the other hole as micro suggested and it seemed to make things slightly better but still kept getting accumulation in the bottom of the bowl. My other toilet started getting a pink ring which is apparently bacterial so I threw Clorox toilet tabs into both toilets and it seems to have fixed both issues.

1 Like

Agreed. My wife is very tired. :slight_smile: I’m actually stopping off on my way home tomorrow to look at some.

Let me know what you go with. I’m leaning Frankenstein kitchen right now. LG fridge. Bosch dishwasher and maybe a slide in GE gas range.

how do you stop the video? I know how to start it at a particular point, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ashgP4YMdJw&start=35&end=45

1 Like