Home improvement

Why can’t you just point it away from the house and let it drain to the yard? Am I missing something?

We’re in the process of refinancing our house and added money to renovate our kitchen. My partner is pretty insistent on wanting vinyl flooring over laminate. It’s a small kitchen in a small house. We will probably end up renting it out if / when we buy a bigger place. Is vinyl an ok choice or should I try and steer her in another direction ?

Was wondering the same thing, it also looks like the front yard slopes away from the house so the same should work there too

What kind of vinyl, and OK for what purpose? Sheet vinyl is what gets used in a lot of rental properties because there are no seams/joints for spills to leak through and it’s dirt cheap to install.

I’m not sure if this will answer your question, but here are some pictures of the areas:

Front corner:

Back corner, from driveway:

Back corner. Pipe going out perpendicular from the house is a temporary pipe connected to the downspout and just flowing on to the paver pathway:

If we were to go down the backyard, the destination would be very close to the trampoline on the far right side:

Why not just drain to the yard? I guess because I don’t want a bunch of water flowing directly into mulch.

We just started looking last weekend. I think she wants sheet vinyl because it’s cheap and easy. If there’s a laminate that is better bang for buck, I’m all ears.

There really isn’t. Any laminate that outperforms sheet vinyl is probably going to be a lot more expensive than sheet vinyl.

@spidercrab I’d take it under the walk and just dump it into the yard. You can conceal the end of the pipe with some decorative stones or plantings or whatever. Doing anything else is going to add a lot of expense for no clear benefit I can see.

I sort of like this weird thing in the East or wherever that is where people don’t have back yard fences, but sort of don’t. What do you people do with your dogs?

Long leash on a clothesline-type thing that runs from the house to a tree.

1 Like

Figures. Seems suboptimal. Our dog has a dog door and is free to go in and out. She’s happier and we don’t have to do anything just because she wants to pee or poop.

Sad not totally relevant story: Next door to us at a previous house a long time ago people went on vacation and entrusted a teenager across the street to look in on their dog. Teenager left the dog tied to a tree in the back yard. The dog got the leash wrapped around the tree and couldn’t reach the food and water. Kid did not check on dog enough. Dog died.

In addition to all the other things wrong there, that was a dog whose collar was way too tight. They should be able to slip out of them with bit of discomfort for emergencies just like that.

Fences are more or less prohibited where I live, so people with dogs often have electric underground fences. We don’t have one of those, so our dog only goes outside when we’re walking him on his leash.

how big of a problem is this bunch of water? what’s your rainy season like? if it’s under 6" of monthly precipitation, i don’t think you need to worry about it.

from the photo it looks like your yard would funnel to the catch basin by itself. embrace the water.

One of our neighbors has this set up, their dog seems pretty happy. Another option is simply a stake in the ground with a long leash.

I guess the only relevant datapoint is that twice in the last year, we’ve had a heavy rainstorm that led to water gushing up and out from a seam/joint in the downspout, and then pooling there next to the house. (Once at the front downspout and once at the back downspout)

This answers what I was wondering. I guess the down spouts aren’t designed to hold pressure. So the down spout gets backed up due to pressure drop in the relief system at high flows and then the weak down spout seams leak.

I was thinking the head from the roof to the ground could flow a long ways. But it’s not pipe, it’s meant to be free draining with no water backing up in the down spout. Lame.

you should route all water away from the house, i just meant you don’t need anything other than to leave an open drain at the edge of the grass in the backyard. routing around to drain to front yard seems more error-prone.

Oh, to be clear, the original problem with both downspouts was that they were blocked. The one in the front was blocked from the combination of crushed pipe from the tree roots (and the associated gunk that got caught up in the roots). The one in the back was blocked from a 6-inch layer of pine needles. I assume that absent those blockages, there’s no backing up. (We’ve seen no evidence of this until recently, and we’ve lived here for 10 years.)

Muddy mess. I had gaps between sheetrock 1 inch wide. But it hadn’t a floor or wall a couple weeks back.

1 Like