Home improvement

It’s something that is misunderstood by many experienced carpenters and even some building inspectors, but neither code nor physics requires headers in most gable wall openings.

Lotta times the rafters all have some support midspan landing on a load bearing interior wall, no? Seems like it in a lot of attics.

I suppose sunroom is vaulted ceilings?

Yes, but that’s perpendicular to the drawing. Structurally, this is all that’s happening in that plane. Blue is span, red is point load. Nothing else matters*.

Technically the two end bays are necessary for shear strength

1 Like

Googling…what I’m talking about seems to be a load bearing knee wall, where rafters are not sized to support the span from ridge to wall. I would think that would apply to the rafters at the gable end as well, but I could be confused and this could be something you only see in old houses.

Yeah, I know what you’re talking about. It’d usually be done with a truss instead these days. But in the drawing above and presumably Max’s sun room, that’s all one big open area with no intermediate support.

1 Like

I’d give you advice, but I don’t think I know anything you don’t here. Well, I will google for you.

1 Like

Lol , my friend has been renovating his for about 3 years , last year I finally helped him install a door for it previously he just had a sheet hanging over the doorway , he still has no sink or vanity but says fuck it I brush my teeth in the shower.

2 Likes

Condo is way different. Depending on the specific rules of the condo association, your upkeep responsibilities will be minimal to none. Don’t let tales of home maintenance frighten you away from a condo purchase because they’re two very different things.

1 Like

That’s a good list. You should also find out if there have been any special assessments and also how much cash reserves the association has.

1 Like

My wife and I got lucky and were able to buy a nice home that we love living in for a relatively good price. That said, it frequently makes me absolutely miserable when it either costs me thousands of dollars to repair out of the blue or we have to do some stupid “routine maintenance” that I couldn’t care less about, like getting our tile floors properly cleaned/sealed or literally any dealing with the roof. I posted about my peeling stucco above - on the bright side, it’s not structural and just an outer layer; on the other hand, it looks like it’s going to be a PITA to find someone who can do it right and will probably be pretty expensive with no guarantee that the work sticks. I think the “dream” at this point is selling while the market is still high and then using the profits to move to another country.

2 Likes

My roof has a mystery leak in the kitchen area that no one can fix, I’ve had 5 roofers and a couple insulation guys come look at it and they’ve all said the shingles are in pretty good shape and didn’t really offer much in the way of solutions. A couple thought the leak was coming from the ridge vent so we had a new one installed but that didn’t change anything.

At this point were just going to replace the roof and replace the shitty insulation at the same time. Hope that works, if not then??? Will also probably cost $15k (or more) It’s a vaulted ceiling so there is no access to the underside of the roof, the only way to see anything from the inside would involve cutting out drywall which I’ve been tempted to.

We could sell for a hefty profit right now but the buyer would probably want the roof fixed first and then we have to find a new place which will probably have it’s own issues.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes I dream about saying “fuck it” and moving to a new house in a more appealing/appropriate neighborhood just to get away from all these headaches. As if this hypothetical new house would be magical and free of all the hassle we currently have.

If you get a small house all your house problems will be smaller. It’s a better long term investment too. Structures depreciate. It’s the land that appreciates.

3 Likes

I’ve NEVER had anyone want the panels facing the street when it was less efficient and it’s super super common for people to want them not facing the street even if it’s less efficient because they don’t want them to show.

It’s a long post to explain everything here, but…

Shade matters
South is best (Northern hemisphere bias)
East and West are essentially the same (some minor differences because of typical weather)
North is bad (not horrible if nearly flat)

I’ve never done North (without a reverse tilt). Rarely, but sometimes I see solar on the North and that could be solar companies catering to owners to make a sale (it would be to put the panels facing away from the street), but I’ve seen this with leasing companies and they own the panels and sell the power, so they are determining that it’s still worth it.

I’m certain it’s not true that half of homes put panels on the incorrect side of the house. It’s obviously true that half the homes site the panels imperfectly depending on how nitty you get about being perfect.

I could see a study being done based on satellite pics and getting this very wrong because of things like the panels going on the West side instead of South but there was actually not space on the South side because of the roof shape/vents/ets.

eta: cross-posted on 2p2

2 Likes

Our home is on almost an acre so I guess $$$ time. It’s mostly useless, albeit very pretty, desert scrubland.

You would know better than me, but this wouldn’t surprise me. There is a broad thread of conservative mythology where they insist that liberals don’t really care about the poor, the environment, etc. Making up stories about people “virtue signaling” with their solar panels is totally consistent with that.

Yeah, that’s it.

Also of note as far as solar customers go, it’s fairly rare for people to even mention the environment as a reason for getting it. If anything people who have that as a reason are shy about mentioning it. It’s far more common for people to go out of the way to say they’re just doing it for the money and not the environment, and the most common politicalish statements are like “eff the utilities”.

2 Likes

Outlet in my rent house caught fire while vacuuming.

Melted off one of the cord prongs. Any way to fix this? I’ve already purchased another vacuum just wanting to get max recycling value now.

Yeah.

Lol just watched a yt vid and it’s amazingly simple.

I can fix it and give it away now.

Thx for the quick reply JT.

1 Like

I don’t think butyl tape is common on storm doors/windows. Usually it’s just the plastic glazing bead that is broken at the top and apparently missing on one side.

1 Like