Home improvement

Yeah, pretty sure it’s a coating that is peeling off. They probably just did that instead of painting, so probably just an aesthetic problem. If the people who lived there before you were old and suckers for telemarketers, then tex-cote is a lock.

1 Like

Again, I’m not expert, so maybe I’m not the best judge, but I’ve done stucco repairs on jobs and this is my YT stucco guy.

2 Likes

Not saying tex-cote is necessarily a bad product. It might not be. But I know that it’s one of the things that most of the shady home improvement companies do (I know this because they all have done, do or want to do solar too) and if it can be done poorly, I’m sure it often is.

That stuff is just elastomeric paint, right? That’s what you’re supposed to use if you want to paint your stucco, but paint on stucco is never going to last very long. Painted anything doesn’t last very long really.

Not an expert again, but I think it’s elastomeric paint with little bits of rocky stuff (I could say ‘aggregate’ I guess) mixed in. And, while paint doesn’t last forever on stucco, if it’s done right (when it’s dry enough I think is the big factor) it doesn’t peel off in giant sheets like this. Maybe this coating doesn’t peel like that if it’s done properly either, dunno.

Job is relocating solar panels while roofing is being done and reinstalling.

Weird situation where I was called by the prime contractor who got the job and subbed to me originally who is a long time personal friend of the owner, but the contractor responsible for the roofing is paying me. Original solar contractor and homeowner have asked me for a quote to update to newer panels. New contractor doing the roofing tried to menacingly order me not to send them a quote and to send it to him. I mean, I was letting him know that I was sending them a quote because usually I’d ask them to go through whoever is paying me, but there is a prior relationship here.

I should be telling everyone to fuck off at this point, but I’ve said I’d do it, the homeowner is very nice and the old prime contractor is a friend.

I did send the quote (just an email) to the owner, and cc’d the new contractor. I’m advising them not to replace the panels though unless they are still having electric bills and just want more solar. (newer panels are about 40% more power)

1 Like

Seems like maybe these people are gatekeeping and it was just being suggested that a peon like me is not supposed to interact directly with the owner. They have been characterized as construction managers to me, not as roofers. Perhaps rich. One of the owners appears on magazine you have hear of’s list of top entrepreneurs in America.

Me neither. Dude is lucky he’s meeting me Monday instead of after my MMA lessons from Stimabuser.

3 Likes

Not gatekeeping. They just wanted to mark up your bid 30%.

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure. The contractor I know said it is 20% on the stuff I’m doing. They’ll probably get that 20% on anything regardless because they seem to have some pretty broad contract, which is probably why they pretty quickly backed off and were ok with just being cc’d.

Any ladder recommendations for someone new to home improvement? I’ve got starlings starting to nest behind some improperly-installed gutters and fascia (I think this is what it is, anyway). … mulling whether these are tasks I can take on myself.

That ladder is from like 1950 and doesn’t seem great. I weigh almost 200.

ETA … I also have a neighbor who is a contractor, who may be able to do some of this work but while I think I’d get a fair price I also am curious if I could pull this off.

House is old. Deed says 1832, but most of this is much newer of course, maybe 90 years old. Needs lots of stuff, and I am trying to decide how much I can do myself and what I need to get others to do. This is likely a years-long process.

I’m assuming the section without the soffits is a add which didn’t allow for a smooth transition between the two peaks so they just put tin or something there to fill the void.

Not sure what exactly I would do here without getting a better look at it but if I was you I would have your contractor friend come over and look and give you some ideas and see if you are capable of doing them on your own.

1 Like

The big mistakes people make with ladders are how they set them up, not what brand they buy.

I used to prefer fiberglass because they don’t conduct electricity and I liked that they were heavier and didn’t flex as much. Now I wish I had aluminum because they weigh less.

The answer there is just an extension ladder rated for your weight plus what you carry. Maybe 28’. 24’ might do. (3 rungs above the roof if you’re going to get onto the roof)

Also, if you’re worried you probably shouldn’t do it. Ladders are dangerous. And the ground there sucks. Make absolutely sure the footing is solid.

1 Like

agree with mb. when ground is an issue, consider using an orchard ladder, although you may have to be creative with positioning next to a house or in a corner.

The unknown is scary. An orchard ladder would take some getting used to for me.

Most of these folding ladders have broad footing, which helps. But I hope that doesn’t make anyone overconfident. They are also all pretty heavy and a bit of a PITA. And they’re expensive. They fold up and fit where other ladders don’t and they are very adjustable, but if I just had enough space for ladders and weren’t transporting them, I’d never use one. I’ve had a bunch, but somehow I’m down to just one little one. Seems like an item that I’ve let people use and not gotten back several times.

Little Giant is good. Most are fine. I’ll do another ETA - looking for the one to avoid.

ETA: Yeah, fuck this guy and any ladder with that kind of release mechanism.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Aluminum-Extendable/dp/B008DM8K22

I have been using Werner type little giant for years and I’m still not comfortable when using these as extension ladders. When fully extended looking down at the hinge point just freaks me out. I have had a few close calls and seen few people fall off these and every time it’s from straddling over the top of them.

So this is the one that really fits in your car trunk and some are tall enough to get on some two story roofs if you aren’t concerned about doing it correctly. But, these will definitely break your fingers if you eff up collapsing them. They are the most sketchy when up, but that doesn’t bother me much. And mine didn’t last that long before sections just wouldn’t collapse (but I am a power user). ETA: It did last years. Not like it broke right away. It would probably last a homeowner who kept it in a nice location forever.

Orchard-type ladders (tripod step ladder) are awesome and if you do any outside stepladder work on a regular basis you absolutely need one. They’re so much safer and more stable than stupid 4 legged stepladders.

I absolutely despise those go-go Gadget little giant ladders. I own one because it’s the only practical way to work on stairs, but I hate it. Weighs a fucking ton, there’s a billion ways to pinch your fingers, and yeah like KSR says, there’s hinges. In a ladder. Fuck that.

Forgot about stairs. I’ve used them for that once or twice. Normally I’m not allowed inside.