Home improvement

lmao ok. faucet already was replaced…

It’s the other issue you pinpointed then. I’ve seen it, and it’s something that can easily happen

shit shower enclosure grout seams become porous and allow moisture in overtime, so the concept that water can find its way between a counter-top and a shiny chrome escutcheon of sorts is simply mother nature.

they need to lightly apply silicone around the circumference of each sleeve (drill hole) then resinstall the 3 assemblies

that ought to do it

1 Like

We hired a general contractor, but they don’t sell fixtures. They said we could buy whatever fixtures we wanted and they would install them. They referred us to a plumbing supplier that they work closely with and we just bought everything through them.

Part of the problem is that this is a guest bathroom, so we didn’t discover the problem for months after the job was complete.

Nevertheless the contractor has been as helpful as possible.

All installations and subsequent labor were done by the contractor’s plumbing guys.

The Delta (manufacturer) rep came at the end and did the silicone after he couldn’t find anything wrong either.

At this point contractor is basically saying that the problem is the fixture and manufacturer is saying the problem is with the counter. I have a hard time believing the latter.

Contractor basically says “Just buy a new faucet and we’ll put it in, but we’re not replacing the counter. The Delta rep if is full of shit if he says that’s the problem”.

So that’s where we are at now.

I’d go drive 40 minutes to Lawrence right now, if Melk was a local

It’s not that much water, really. Right now we’re having all the other bathrooms remodeled, so there are four of us using this one bathroom. If not for that we may have never discovered the problem.

To recreate the problem and demonstrate it to the various folks who have come by to look at it, we take a cup of water (maybe about 100cc) and just pour it up against the base of each of the taps and the center faucet. After doing that you get about 5 cc of drip into the cabinet below.

So the amount you would get with daily use is less. Also the flow from this faucet is weird and splashy (for lack of a better term) so it lends itself to a little more counter splash than most faucets. I wouldn’t really mind if it didn’t end up in the fucking cabinet.

1 Like

you wouldn’t have a photo of either stem assembly, would you?

What’s a stem assembly?

1 Like

1 sec

Just read this thread and wanted to let anybody that has disposal issues that Wasteking is an amazing brand and warrantied for like 20 years. Had one go bad on me a year ago, recorded the sound and emailed it to them and they sent me a new one. And they’ll chew through just about anything.

1 Like

The other thing I noticed is that if you pour water right on top of the drain assembly knob on the back of the faucet, then the water goes straight into the cabinet. That’s not something that really happens with regular use, but it seems like a shitty design. And obviously that is not the only problem since we get leak through the hot and cold water taps also.

good grief

you’re talking about pouring water directly into the basin, then pulling on the knob of that rod that travels vertically through the faucet-body and connects to the other linkage below that’s designed to raise or lower that little plunger component right at the drain?

here’s a pretty standard stem assembly for those widespread faucets

Kinda sucky. I don’t know if that’s common for bath remodels. If I’ve installed stuff homeowners bought, they’re doing it to save money. On an upcoming job I’m involved in as a subcontractor, the batteries on a backup system were messed up. The inverter company blamed the battery company. The battery company blamed the inverter company. Neither will pay. Battery company won’t replace product. Prime contractor is just eating it. Homeowner isn’t having to worry about it though.

Maybe with bath fixtures people are sooooooo picky about it that the general doesn’t want to deal with it.

I assume I’d have to take apart the faucet to get a photo of that?

1 Like

I’d nix that white-in-color rubber washer in favor of that light application of silicone in its place on that square washer which will meet the underside of the counter

the chrome trim piece has female threads, and I’d put silicone on its underside - where it meets the top side of the counter-top lol

actually you’d just have to remove some of the ‘trim,’ namely the handle

they are generally removed via an allen wrench. the set-screw that needs to be loosened to accomplish that is usually obscured by a red or blue-colored insert into the hole on the handle that receives the screw that tightens to the stem assembly underneath

it’s a cosmetic feature

u can see the red dot here, under the ‘arm’ if you will, of the handle.

that red insert pops out, then u have access to the set-screw

The problem here really isn’t the money (the price we paid for the existing faucet is being refunded anyway). It’s that no one can explain why it’s happening and it happened with two brand new faucets (same model, though). I’m just afraid that I’ll buy a different one and it will still happen. That would imply it’s a problem with the counter. But I can’t get the contractor to fix a problem that is not identifiable by anyone. The counter looks completely new with three holes drilled in it. There is the tiny chip filled with epoxy and even that is no t even visible any more.

This contractor is a little weird. There are certain things they don’t do. For example they don’t do painting. We need to find someone when they’re done.

We picked them despite all this since they’ve got a ton of good reviews and we know a couple of people who have used them and been happy with results.

I’m just about the least handy person there is, but I’ll see if I can pop it off this weekend and put up some pics.

1 Like

and u see the uppermost portion of the brass stem assembly. there’s a noticeably flat side to it. that’s the surface against which the screw is driven , so that when you manipulate the handle, the integral stem turns as designed

ours does look similar to the one in the photo but instead of the white rubber washer it’s black and it is kind of a hard plastic. The contractor commented that it seemed like a shitty design to him and very likely a weak point where the water could come through. He actually suggested the silicone solution that you are suggesting but I told him not to do it because I wanted to the Delta rep to see the faucet in it’s unaltered state. Of course the rep then put in some silicone (I wasn’t there that day, wife was and she doesn’t know exactly where the silicone was put) and it still didn’t help.