Home improvement

I much prefer PVC. It’s cleaner, the glue isn’t black-in-color nastiness - ready to stain yourself or your surroundings.

cutting ABS with a sawzall or hand-held grinder is more challenging, too, because heated ABS becomes tacky, and tries to re-weld the cut as soon as u make it lol

2 Likes

ABS v PVC wars

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/mechanical-trades/professional-plumbing-discussion/15222-pvc-vs-abs

Counterpoint: After sitting behind a desk all day, I like to put on my work boots on the weekend and look at the black ABS glue stains and feel like a manly man

2 Likes

I assume both ABS and PVC glue really destroy brain cells. Nasty stuff if you accidentally catch a whiff. I’ve done way way way more PVC though - electrical PVC.

Rivaldo is going to hate me for suggesting this, but you could probably jam some epoxy putty in there and delay a proper fix for at least another few months.

1 Like

I second the putty idea. It can buy you a lot more time, if not be a semi-permanent fix. Worst case, you are out $20.

Being what I have laying around, if I were slapping goop on there it’d be roofing sealant. I think it would hold up pretty well.

let us know what he suggests, Holmes

Keep that guy’s card. I think that costs way more in the states.

Edit… maybe not way more, but I’d expect worse.

1 Like

great price. you/he can tackle the remainder if/ when the 18" section downstream fails.

1 Like

Unless he’s out of business because he doesn’t charge enough.

1 Like

yeah, prolly took an hour, plus 20-40$ in parts. That’s discount city

but grego has great karmic reserves

1 Like

The orientation of the clean-out is interesting, though I’m sure it makes sense.

I guess the area from which the photo was taken isn’t preferred to the accessibility of the gap between the cinder-block and sheet-rock walls for machine placement, should the drain need to be cabled.

The prior clean-out was 135 degrees clockwise from the new one iirc.

I do stuff cheap sometimes too, but I’m broke. It should be $200 for a truck roll.

1 Like

lol weird I was seeing things

Jesus, I’m tired.

1 Like

I posted this on 22 as well, but I figured I’d put it on here too for the wisdom of zikzak and anyone else who doesn’t make it over there.

Recently got a bathroom remodeled and we discovered that there is water leaking into the cabinet below the sink.

This is the faucet:
https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-FAUCET-…s%2C235&sr=8-4

The counter is also a brand new quartz counter. So here’s what happened

1. Guys who installed didn’t see anything wrong, suggested it was a problem with the faucet itself.

2. Called manufacturer of faucet and described the problem, they suggested the problem was a faulty cartridge, and they sent us some new ones. Those were installed and that didn’t fix it.

3. Company we bought it from agreed to change the one we had for a brand new one (same model). That was installed, still leaked.

4. At this point I spent a lot of time looking at it and it seems the problem is that the leak is not really from the faucet itself. The problem is that the water splashes on to the counter during routine use and that water somehow gets under the fixture and leaks into the cabinet. There is definitely no leakage at any point from when the water comes out of the pipes in the wall to when it comes out of the faucet. The problem is the water splashing up onto the counter and then getting under fixture and winding up into the cabinet.

5. Contractor has a look again and notices that there is a small chip in the counter near where the hole was drilled for the cold water tap. It was pretty noticeable and everyone saw it before. But no one seemed to think that it would cause a leak. Nevertheless, it was repaired with epoxy. Still leaks. Note that this fixture requires three holes drilled in the counter. Only one had a chip, but I’ve observed leaks from all 3. At this point he says he doesn’t know what the problem is, but it’s definitely the faucet. He says that he’ll try putting some extra rubber gaskets in to see if that will help. Still leaks.

6. Rep from the manufacturer comes to our house to make sure it is installed correctly. It is. He is not sure why exactly it is leaking but he decides to add some silicone sealant to various spots. Still leaks. He says he’s not sure why it’s leaking, but he’s sure there is some problem with the counter.

Anyway, at this point we just want the problem solved. We bought a ****ton of fixtures from these people, so they’re going to refund us the money for the faucet. But now we have to get a new one and I don’t want to go through this again.

So here are my questions:

1. Any idea what is going on here?
  2. Any suggestions for a faucet to get that is unlikely to have a similar problem. We’ve already got 3 holes in the counter for this one, so it has to be something compatible with that.

How did you have this job done? I assume you didn’t just hire a general contractor or they would just be doing all this. You hired various trades yourself? You hired a general, but you bought fixtures and stuff yourself?

Do you have particularly rambunctious young kids or something? I’m trying to imagine routine sink use by normal people resulting in that much water around the faucet on a regular basis. What the heck is going on in there?

yeah, if you have definitively sourced the issue, as it seems you have, then an additional silicone type compound between the base of the faucet and the counter-top ought to remedy things.

Oh far out… that’s what they call a widespread faucet. the counter-top is drilled 3 times, and the stem assemblies hot and cold go in the left and right-most holes respectively, and the spout assembly in the middle one obvs.

Droplets can be seen welling up on the underside of the counter-top if you peek into the cabinet space with a headlamp

lol oops . should’ve read his post completely 1st

Delta is a fantastic brand, I understand the frustration of all this trial and error, but don’t forsake the brand

just insist on an entirely new faucet being installed, and make sure the dude knows what he’s doing.

this is bizarre