Home improvement

I was thinking $35/sheet sounds expensive but if that’s the doubled price it makes sense I guess. I had my roof done a couple of years ago and I had them replace any suspect plywood (mostly near where I think some older skylights had leaked before I bought the house) and they charged me less than $35/sheet installed back then.

It reflects the current price increases, but also because it’s pressure treated. There’s a lot of different types of plywood and a wide range of costs.

$33.05 at my nearest Lowes aorn.

Is pressure treated standard on a roof? I would expect it to be, but I don’t really know. I think they replaced 3 sheets at $75 installed as part of a $6000 roofing job. (Stripping old shingles, new skylights, ridge vents, etc.)

No. Pressure treated is only used for direct exposure. The stuff on your roof is probably CDX. C grade one side, D grade the other, eXposure rated glue (that means it won’t go to shit if it rains during construction, but it won’t hold up to extended weather).

2 Likes

What’s the reason for this? Assume it’s painted before it’s put on.

You’re saying I buy it, wait a month or two, paint it and then put it on there? Why?

The pressure treating chemicals need to dry up. Usually you install, wait to dry in the sun, and then paint/stain.

You can put it on right away, but you need to wait if you want a good paint job. Presure treating wood is a wet process that forces lots of liquid chemicals into the wood. It is then promptly shipped out and sold, long before it has a chance to dry. If you paint it in that condition there’s a very good chance it will eventually bubble and peel.

I see. Presumably it’s been sitting on the shelf in the store for a while. I guess there is no way to tell if it dry enough just by looking at it.

Not likely. That stock rotates fast.

Next time you’re at Home Depot or wherever, pick up a basic 2x4. Then walk down the aisle a bit and pick up a pressure treated 2x4. It will be at least twice as heavy. All that extra weight is liquid that’s been forced into the wood fibers.

When I did my deck I had to wait almost a year before I thought it was dry enough to stain. It’s on the north side of the house in a wet climate, but still that shit takes forever to dry.

Thanks. I’ll probably do that just to feel the difference.

What if I just put it on unpainted and then paint it after a couple of months? Any problems with that? It will get rained on, so I’ll need to wait for a dry day.

You want to wait for a dry week if you can imo.

That shouldn’t be a problem if I wait long enough.

The smallest piece of wood I can get is more than 2x the size I need, so I could just board it temporarily and then put the painted one on in a couple of months.

There’s still the PVC option too. A 1x8 is about $30. Cut two 1’ pieces out of it, nail 'em up, and paint it the same day. Or never paint it. Doesn’t matter, it’ll last forever.

DUCY’s cedar suggestion will work too without paint, but it’s going to be expensive.

Will this thing work. Seems too cheap.

https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net/vintagewoodworks/cgi-bin/wg-order?ysco_key_event_id=&ysco_key_store_id=vintagewoodworks&sectionId=ysco.cart&yscoc=anxzrydKpyHNECmNT7SXi5eQbydsYqeC_rpwYxH5NYrVmoEi0Itf.39Z1WlDDYygcIlxFJ0JUu20djxfcEERrHXm.STjOi7ANFOjdJsIZCTyq.ivK7CPftWfPaZG0HidxvefOm3dFaUpP499kxY-~A&yscos=3SCo4stKpyGwyT1PPUUplfM11JISnu7MZbx_rExt.LwWdx0JtBscGrKz5Velt0iL5Cwv362CQQaf.6Ng_dwBUMlbYE.PXa_cYGChEbs5AMGniN_eTPzA6leg0EcCztiRSqQSRihUSRZ5CrEfngg-~A&yscob=qKTaSy9KpyG85F7sOHhD1S1jRZxedyACy52pQi3e5_gLKpmKkcJL2W3CGZ_jJ_1fD_oo1GZrUeKfg_znlDihaFHmE5CEvGWr3U6PY9hl2l1S9WfvbcK72BAdyMnZYUkTLZHTb8U-~A#__utma=1.1779152164.1604196172.1604196172.1604196172.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1604196172&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1604196172.1.1.utmcsr=google

If it’s big enough to cover the hole it will. Price sounds about right if you’re only buying 1 foot, but you’re probably going to get killed on shipping.

What a weird business model, buying full length boards and cutting them to size for a small markup. I’d have to be selling like 500 pieces a day to make the numbers work.

With tax and shipping I’m still under $20. So on a percentage basis the shipping is huge, but total isn’t bad considering my alternatives.

Can I use the same kind of paint that I would use ordinarily use on the wood siding that is outside of the house?

Yep. You don’t even need to prime it.