Holiday traditions, gift ideas, hot takes, and airing of grievances

I thought my one smoker brisket attempt was fucked up because it was dry. lol

I wish - we got Christmas breakfast and dinner from a local restaurant (https://www.101beerkitchen.com/). We’ve tried to make blueberry cream cheese french toast casserole before, but it didn’t turn out nearly as good as this.

I do make an apple french toast casserole periodically - it’s really simple and delicious. I’m pretty sure it’s this recipe, but they’re basically all similar:

1 Like

Ok, this may reveal me to be a complete moron, but this is my rant:

A teapot that cannot actually heat the water is pointless.

My wife wanted a replacement for our tea kettle - smaller and preferably colorful rather than silver. I find one on Amazon that gets great reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Sweese-2316-Porcelain-Teapot-Ounce/dp/B07C8YLQ8C/

She opens it up, likes it, and so I’m happy. Later on, I notice the bottom isn’t flat, and I think to myself, “Self, I wonder if that’s going to be a problem on a glasstop stove?”

So I look back at the product description and realize that THIS STUPID PIECE OF CRAP DOESN’T DO THE VERY BASIC JOB THAT IT SHOULD SO OBVIOUSLY BE ABLE TO DO - HEAT THE WATER SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE TEA.

Apparently, you’re supposed to heat the water in some entirely different device, and then pour it in this stupid thing? Who the hell has time for that?

And yes, I’m the moron becuse it says this at the bottom of the product description:

• PRO-GRADE PORCELAIN & SAFE FOR DISHWASHER, MICROWAVE - These Sweese porcelain teapots are made of durable porcelain, a type of premium LEAD-FREE and NON-TOXIC ceramic, chip-resistant and more sturdy than stoneware. The only thing that you should keep in mind is that this is NOT a kettle. It is a POT. Do not put it on a heating element.
  • NOT a stovetop teapot - A teapot of porcelain is meant for brewing tea, couldn’t boiling water on the stovetop directly.

Nonetheless, I maintain it is not my fault for ASSUMING that a goddamned teapot would be able to heat tea. And I will be returning this dumbass item, so maybe in the future those warnings will be even more prominent.

5 Likes

Teapots don’t heat tea. They are merely the vessel for making tea. Get with it spidercrab!

1 Like

You like to be in socks. She wants you to wear slippers. The obvious compromise is slipper socks.

2 Likes

That seems like a rather strange thing to say? Is it some kind of old saying or something like that?

1 Like

Finally it’s affordable for everyone

1 Like

Imagine be so dumb as to trust this in your house with 300 gallons of water in it.

5 Likes

Absent allergies, is it important that you know what they are?

I feel like gobbling them down blind is part of the fun.

1 Like

My momma said life is like a box of chocolates.

See’s candy always triggers a doom cycle of self-loathing in me because Warren Buffet has made basically an infinity percent return owning the company while doing absolutely no work, meanwhile I’m slaving away for a relative pittance, wtf am I doing.

Going by the guide, bottom centre ones look like orange cream, I’ll take those if you’re not having them.

Top middle looks like buttercream. Not sure about the ones on the right.

1 Like

What’s everyone doing for New Years? Feeling a lot of pressure to invite another couple over for some companionship, but feel guilty doing it. They have been incredibly safe but feels irresponsible in the current climate.

Picking up a charcuterie board, oysters, shrimp cocktail, and wine from a local spot to enjoy at time.

1 Like

Probably just the wife and I. Smoking a small rib roast, will also have shrimp cocktail, possibly yorkshire pudding and roasted potatoes. Weed and booze throughout the night, will be my calmest NYE since childhood.

5 Likes

NYE will be just me and my GF. Food, booze, weed, and molly. At home. No loud noises, no crowds, no lines, no expensive tab to pay at the end. But goddam do I miss clowning around laughing with friends.

Re: meeting up with people…Earlier this month we quarantined simultaneously while another couple we are friends with did the same for 2 weeks, and then we drove out and met them for a week at an AirBnB. It was the first and only time we’ve been indoors and maskless since Feb. Everyone that we could potentially meet up with for NYE, I’d only be comfortable outside and distanced.

3 Likes

We normally go out for steak dinner, so this year my wife is making a prime rib and roasted potatoes and we’ll probably end up watching a movie or two. Neither of us have ever bothered staying up, I can’t see why that would change this year.

3 Likes

I’ve made a strong effort to be asleep at the stroke of midnight on NYE in most recent years.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen on CNN. It’s a guilty pleasure.