Holiday traditions, gift ideas, hot takes, and airing of grievances

Actually, it’s not completely true. In the past few years, my brother has invited me to join his family for their Florida vacation, so I’ve been awake and gathered around a bonfire on a beach for a few NYEs. But if I am not with them, I am either asleep or in a poker room.

I’m confused about your bottle of champagne that doesn’t seem to work like every other bottle I’ve had.

How did the experience compare to other bottles since then?

1 Like

Ya, the only Champagne corks I’ve come across that were even remotely hard to remove were very old bottles. And still, they were not all that hard. But I guess if you had a faulty cork and managed to break the top off you could have some difficulty. You could probably shake the bottle a bit and blow the top off but then you would lose half the Champagne.

In a normal year: Go visit old college roommates in Massachusetts and play board games and go to some cool restaurant.

This year: Will probably just eat something at home and do a Zoom Jackbox night with same people.

1 Like

The gf and I will do the usual: dinner at home, then drinks and some herb and it’s like 50/50 whether or not we’ll be up at midnight.

The Space Needle is doing a digital effects “virtual” show this year instead of the fireworks they’ve been doing every year since 1992. It looks like it could be good or cheesy, or both. I might try to stay up just to see how it turns out.

How the Space Needle’s New Year’s Eve plan was dreamed up, letting us end 2020 with a virtual bang

2 Likes

Most years, we just stay home anyway (me, wife, 3 kids, dog), so this year won’t be different. Will probably watch Soul on Disney+ and drink some beer.

But I cannot understand those of you who aren’t going to stay up until midnight. I have never been so excited to see the calendar change from one year to the next. I mean, it’s obviously superficial/ceremonial, but it’s going to be fucking awesome to say that 2020 is officially done.

2 Likes

I despise superficial and ceremonial things. I have a very utilitarian attitude towards buying things like clothes and cars, for example. I’ve never really enjoyed the holiday season. The only good thing about holidays is the excuse to be around people I care about.

2020 probably isn’t going to be the worst year this decade.

Weird tradition that I’ve become accustomed to: I take a shower and trim my beard. Maybe a haircut this year. A way to wash away the old year and start the new one clean. Not specifically on the hour, but NYE night.

1 Like

New Year’s Eve during my 20s was always the holiday I looked forward to the most. It basically became a mini College Reunion for all of my friends where we would pack into everyones’ Chicago apartments and all get dressed up and go out. NYE 2017 and 2018 we had weddings which are great (except for one of them barely had food for a fucking NYE Wedding, people were dying by midnight). But even as much as I like weddings and I think NYE weddings are great, it’s tough to recapture the fun feelings of those earlier NYE nights when I was 22-26.