Holiday Gift Ideas for People Difficult to Buy For

Regional food is what I usually send friends and family that don’t live here.

Almost always cougar gold cheese, local pepper jam, and local smoked salmon.

I always send my mother a bag of Snoqualmie falls oats but I think they’re available in Vegas supermarkets now.

2 Likes

This looks excellent.

Good thread idea @lol_lmao

1 Like

The starter and tire inflators are perfect for a couple relatives I have in mind actually. Any recommendation on brand of jump starter? There’s a million of them on Amazon

What about this one?

You can find one that does both.

Https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/battery-tools-accessories/jump-starters/630-peak-amp-portable-jump-starter-and-power-pack-with-250-psi-air-compressor-58978.html

2 Likes

https://www.jfegwo.com/pages/all-product

Thermapen is fantastic but I usually get mocked when I tell people to pay $75-$100 for a cooking thermometer. I think I bought one around this price a few years ago on Kenji’s recommendation and agree that it is well worth the price- LMM laid out nicely why it’s worth buying this one instead of a cheaper one. They also threw in a therma pop for a few bucks which I just realized I’ve never used and should probably regift.

1 Like

nice solo cups there

1 Like

I have some shitty fake brand type one from Amazon but it’s worked fine the few times I needed to use it. I don’t even remember how I picked it, know I didn’t do much research

1 Like

I don’t get it, but I don’t get a lot. Maybe you’re supposed to put sticks in it like this awful trend:

Old sticks. Old sticks sticking up in a corner. Beautiful.

1 Like

4 Likes

Is there a non-video-game game thread on this site? I’m looking for a game that’s great for 3-people (which is always tricky). My 13-yr old and his two parents would be the 3 people.

1 Like

Ticket to Ride. I think the Nordic Countries variant is specifically designed for a smaller number of players. But even the original plays great with 3.

4 Likes

We tried ticket to ride for the first time last week with 3 people and didn’t like it.

I’ve heard the non-USA versions are better.

Trekking is a ticket-to-ride like game but deals with the USA National Parks. We like that one.

I think there is a board game thread as well as a catch-all product recommendation thread. My guess is that this one just turns into the ‘holiday gift idea’ thread, since if you have to ask here, the person is probably at least somewhat difficult to buy gifts for!

MyPillow guy cardboard cutout for $39.99:

2 Likes

Those are fake sticks that are available at Michael’s for $39.95. Makes a fantastic gift combo.

i’ve bought and solved two “murder mystery in a box” typa deals with my gf and her daughter recently. kinda fun for an hour or two.

1 Like

also, she’s a sophomore in pre-med at case western, so i got her Operation! too. that’s 3 players right?

2 Likes

You might want to dO yOuR rEsEaRcH on these. I’ve had a few over the years that were completely unreliable junk, and they were major brands I trust more than a random all-caps XIOXIO Scamazon made-in-China brand. I suspect most of them are made in the same factories and to the same low quality standards. They turned out to be a false sense of security a few times for me, because, for example, there were a few critical times I needed air and the units were DOA.

I’d feel kind of bad giving someone a gift like that which is why I usually recommend “overpriced” products that are well made and known to last virtually forever. The fact that we’ve turned into a sort_by_lowest_price Scamazon economy is one of the worst developments in my lifetime imo.

1 Like

An inexpensive, big hit with my wife was silk pillowcases. Allegedly better for hair/skin. She loved them and then gave them to her sisters and friends. No silk sheet set, she’d be too cold. Just got some separate pillowcases that match our normal sheets.