Holiday Gift Ideas for People Difficult to Buy For

Name says it all. I have several olds in my extended family and idk wtf to get any of them. Coasters? Linens? Cash? What do you give the person who doesn’t have everything but doesn’t really need anything either, and won’t tell you what the hell to buy them because they suck?

1 Like

This is what gift cards are for

yeah I often go to that, but it gets a bit old doing it year after year

Then again it’s like, if you’re not gonna tell me MF’er, don’t expect me to be out here guessing, I’ve got other shit to do

In my experience, people like that generally don’t complain about what they receive. But if they do, they yeah, that’s fucked up.

I should say that this year we are doing a big not-so-secret santa type deal too where we all drew names and we have a spending limit we’re supposed to be sticking to, it’s $50 so idk it feels kinda tacky just passing an equal amount of consideration back and forth

like in Donnie Brasco

Put this on your keychain. They already have the tools, but now they have them when they need them.

1 Like

Wine, sparkling wine, chocolate

3 Likes

To sorta piggy back on this idea - I got someone like OP described a pair of metal stemless wine glasses with their hometown etched on them like 5 years ago they still use and love.

2 Likes

Buy them nothing.

Edited to add this is basically me, I never need anything and I don’t care if people buy me things. My brother and I pretty much always send each other either something local (usually coffee) or my wife finds an interesting T-shirt or other item on Etsy.

2 Likes

What’s the budget?

For old people, send joke gifts about being old. Aprons that say “I may be old but…” etc.

2 Likes

i’ve given to like, 4-5 people over the years, every one of them a) didn’t realize it existed, and b) still keep it in their trunk (boot for all you loser, drunk england fans who are up late trying to think about something other than choking away ANOTHER quarterfinal match).

$28

3 Likes

I’m really excellent at this sort of thing. So how about you just Venmo me a bunch of money and I’ll figure out something to buy them? You can trust me.

1 Like

50 bones but I’ll go over if I need to because whatever

This is fantastic, I get nails and screws in my tires every three months just driving in and out of work (industrial area)

1 Like

They probably don’t want anything, at least thats how I operate. I’ve successfully ended gifting with my immediate family but I don’t think I can crack my wife’s side, they love buying shit off a list even though all of them are well off and could just buy it themselves.

Something similar to the tire inflator is a portable battery you can use to jump start your car. So much easier than finding someone to help you do it.

1 Like

I hate it when people ask me to give them some ideas what to buy me for less than $100. Anything in that price range that I want I buy the second I think of it. So unless I very recently broke some wine glasses and want new ones the only things you can buy me is wine, cheese, champagne and ideally Belgian chocolates from Pierre Marcolini.

3 Likes

If you can go to $150, the Dewalt Jumper is much more useful.

It will air up a tire in a couple of minutes as opposed to 4x that time and add even more if you are doing mulitiple inflations since you should be giving those cheap motors cool down time.

It’s over $50 but I like this assuming the person you’re buying for ever cooks food:

The price might seem high at first but it’s the best all-purpose kitchen thermometer on the market and I’ll explain exactly where the money is going. It has the fastest accurate read time on the market at 1 second, and without getting into the weeds, that’s more technically challenging to pull off than you might think. The cheap, made-in-China junk ones that are abundant typically take much longer to obtain a final reading (like 12 to 15 seconds), and even then they aren’t necessarily accurate.

Thermapen is made and calibrated by hand in England with guaranteed accuracy backed by a NIST-traceable certification, IP-67 water resistance, and comes with a 5-year-warranty. The ergonomics are great, the quality is obvious when felt in hand, and they commonly appear on professional cooking shows. It’s one of the few items that ticks every box for me.

7 Likes