Help Desk

I can no longer reproduce a memory leak on my end. Could you folks let me know which theme(s) you are using and any other settings that may be relavent?

In my case it’s “again”. I recently switched from Firefox to Opera.

Some people like the free VPN.

Dark theme
HTTPS Everywhere / uBlock Origin / no cookies

I haven’t been able to reproduce the leak on the Dark theme yet but I will keep trying.

I just got an “unsafe site” warning in Firefox - expired certificate?

2439 545397g3498n63697803978nbeypey9pwr90 9tc rfirtciu c rtdfko

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

After a 2 hour deep dive into some of the more obscure parts of SSL site certificates and renewals to solve a problem I was pretty damn sure I had already solved, the solution ended up being “Did you try turning it off and back on again?”

6 Likes

I was going to send you a pm on 22 with a picture of the expired cert but I thought that might get me banned for trolling. :grinning:

Thanks for staying on top of things.

When is the site not going to be blocked by my work?

Gateway: good?

I haven’t logged into 2+2 since the exodus. If the site is down you can check the admin twitter account https://twitter.com/TheUnstuckied, and if you need to contact me directly you can also use the admin@unstuckpolitics.com address. That email is handled entirely off this server, so even if the whole thing blows up it should still work.

That is done by whoever runs those filters and isn’t something I have any control over.

Feel free to ignore this post (first world problems, and so on…). When I play a youtube link in a thread and then scroll through the same thread with a lot of youtube links (a Walrus reveal, say), all the videos start playing at once.

Sounds like a feature, not a bug :grinning:

@Lawnmower_Man are you still having memory issues? I’ve had 6 tabs open for an hour with more or less your exact settings and I still can’t reproduce a leak.

Do we not have ignore? I see only normal and mute as the options to put people on.

I’d like to report something that has been going on for a long time. I have come to believe that interacting with this site slows down my computer doing other tasks. I run a lot of R programs on my PC and I feel like they are being affected. It was driving me crazy so I finally attempted to gather some data last night.

Here are the results of an experiment I conducted last night. I ran the identical program several times with and without having the Unstuck Politics website open on my browser (details below).

I launched my browser (Win7/Google Chrome) and opened several static website tabs.

• First run of program with UP closed took 13 mins and 5 secs
  • Second run of program with UP closed took 13 mins and 7 secs
  • Third run of program with UP closed took 13 mins and 3 secs

I then opened the UP website on my browser.

• First run of program with UP open (but I did not actively do anything on the site) took 13 mins and 7 secs
  • Second run of program with UP open and me scrolling through several UP threads took 14 mins and 15 secs
  • Third run of program with UP open and me scrolling through several UP threads took 14 mins and 17 secs

I then closed the UP browser tab.

• Fourth run of program with UP closed took 13 mins and 7 secs.

I don’t know what it means or what/why is happening, but I am convinced that something related to my interacting with the UP website slows down my computer. I don’t know if anybody can even begin to look into something like this. Thanks much.

1 Like

I think it’s to be expected that this site will put more of a load on your system than static pages. It’s doing more work. The two important questions would be: Does it require an unreasonable load, and does our implementation of the software use significantly more resources than a default install?

For the latter, you can try comparing us to meta.discourse.org, which is the support forum for this software. Presumably their implementation is about as good as can be. If you do note a significant difference between here and there, please say so and note which theme you are using here. They all have different components and settings.

For the former, my experience has been that the load is reasonable even on very old and slow hardware. I’ve used the site extensively on several different under powered and out of date platforms without significant issues.

Thanks for the reply.