Help Desk

I would like to change my username to BigDaddySwaps. That’s the handle I use on a variety of platforms. I’ve been a low volume poster but heavy lurker here on UP as well as the old home. If this isn’t possible I’m happy to start a new account.

Thanks for your time and effort making this place awesome!

• Lurkingsince2004 now retired…Thanks!
3 Likes

Name changes are very easy, enjoy.

1 Like

Anyone else seeing this shit with all the twitter videos this evening?

worked for me a few moments ago

1 Like

Okay just me then. Weird.

How do I close an entire subforum?

You need a KCBBQ for that.

How do I block someone from sending me private messages if that user has a profile set to private?

Bonus question: Will this stop them from private messaging me if a moderator has invited them into a three way private message with me?

you can go to your settings, select users on the left, and add to an ignore list from there.

1 Like

Thanks! I was able to “mute” him. Let’s see if that works.

I locked the PM thread so you should be good to go either way.

Thank You.

why do my quotes often not work? eg: Healthcare USA #1 - #1824 by pvn

It is very subtle, but the quotation marks that end up in your post are the curly style open and close double quotes, whereas when I tried to quote yours is the straight double quotes. Below is a copy-paste of your quote then what happens when I quote your post.

[quote=“Surf, post:1818, topic:90”]
[quote="pvn, post:1824, topic:90"]

How are you quoting folks? I highlight the words I want to quote and click the quote button that pops up, same for you?

yes

I’m using firefox on OSX

it works fine most of the time. I sometimes go back and chop up the quote (and in these cases I need to add more quote tags) but I’m never editing the username or the quotes around it. weird.

Testing this quote. I copy-pasted the curly quotes into it and it is apparently working just fine. Sorry for misleading you, but I’ve ran into that exact issue when writing code before so it was very familiar.

However, if I put the [/quote] on the same line as the quoted text it breaks.

[quote=“pvn, post:1202, topic:28”]
it works fine most of the time. I sometimes go back and chop up the quote (and in these cases I need to add more quote tags) but I’m never editing the username or the quotes around it. weird. [/quote]

ah

I can see that in real time in the editor preview. fascinating.

How the fuck is the 20 year old software running 2+2 better at this then what we use?

You folks should bring this stuff up on the Discourse support forum. Sam and Jeff are very receptive to this sort of criticism.

1 Like

All of the posts in the Rupar thread for the past half hour have been doubled up tweets for some reason.

Not a big deal, but if there’s an easy fix…