Healthcare USA #1

Quoting from Basic Science – Review Article

Open Access Gateway

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis

Pergolizzi Jr. J.V. · LeQuang J.A. · Bisney J.F.

Case Reports

The literature contains a wealth of case studies and case reports on patients suffering from CHS; these case reports come from around the world but have striking similarities. A summary of these studies appears in …

I found this with about 30 seconds of effort using Google.

If you’re so inclined, go to the site and look up some of the “wealth” of case studies. Or not, I suppose. Cause, you know, science is hard and stuff.

MM MD

The first case was discovered in 2004? The subjects who were diagnosed had been smoking for decades? Was it the potency of the weed then also?

It doesn’t surprise me at all we’re starting to see weird cases related to people taking in too much THC. The THC content of the average product has gone up several thousand % over the last 25 years. I mean the amount you can get from edibles is crazy.

Hobbes would you say most of the cases you’re seeing are coming from edibles and wax? I would expect those to be the categories that are capable of pushing something usually relatively benign to a straight up toxic place.

lol

1 Like

Anecdotally, I dunno. Last guy I saw felt pretty strongly that edibles weren’t a problem - he’d had previous problems with smoking, switched to edibles without issues, and then smoked with a friend and started vomiting again. For all I know it may not be the THC - could be something else in the marijuana - kind of like with tobacco it isn’t the nicotine, for the most part, that is bad for you.

For Prana - it’s not that uncommon for a particular condition to not be understood for a LONG time. My favorite example is gastric/duodenal ulcers. For decades various causes were given - stress, smoking, alcohol use, genetics. (For a brief time, treatment was to have you swallow a rubber balloon, fill it with liquid nitrogen and freeze the lining of your stomach, which died and you then poop it out - we don’t do that anymore) Turns out that the vast majority of ulcers are caused by H. Pylori and the treatment is antibiotics. If you’d argued that a couple of decades ago, you’d have been treated like you were out of your mind.

So, we’ll see.

MM MD

The synethic weed is the stuff to worry about as there’s zero regulation on its production. Manufacturers can put basically anything they want into it and as long as not enough people die, they’re good to go.

Some stuff a guy grows in his backyard ain’t doing shit to you. Hell I smoked some last weekend and felt nothing. That synthetic shit would probably kill me though.

The lab chemicals flooding into the recreational (illegal) drug market like fentanyl are why the war on drugs will end. If you look back at why Prohibition ended it was primarily an awful epidemic of people having serious health problems after consuming bad adulterants in booze. Wood alcohol was particularly nasty.

History repeats itself and we lost a LOT of people in the last 12 months because there was something extra in people’s heroin.

That shit is causing all sorts off trouble here in my city… It ain synethic weed that’s for sure… More like rage weed :relieved:

Maybe in America but I’d say not in the UK that’s for sure… The attitude of some people here towards Drugs is a eye opener.
We couldn’t even get a needle exchange up and running because every area rejected the plans for it and I’m in the city you’d think it could happen, alough I’m sure there’s 1/2 in our capital city.

Wait until sufentanil becomes the next fentanyl within the next year or two.

I’ve refused morphine x2 in the hospital, when going for an operation. I’ve always had a hate of that substance and it’s ingrained in me not to ever take it for anything.
Except on my last days :joy:

Awesome. Absolutely NO ONE in the civilian area wants or needs this shit. But the drug company gets its way, in a shocking upset.

MM MD

MM,

What’s Mitch’s likely cognitive and operational capacity in light of the injury and surgery (regular sleep, pain meds, ok food)? Like can he fully recover and run for office in 8 months? Can he manage the Senate a month from now?

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1162380654883016704?s=19

Cause to me busted shoulder sounds extremely painful and likely requires very limited mobility and perhaps pain meds. Like if using the bathroom is a painful 20 minute ordeal and eating hurts, then McConnell probably isn’t doing any actual Senate work.

Got morphine once in my life. Dislocated my hip in a major car accident and had to wait 7 hours for the only orthopedic surgeon in the area to finish somebody else’s surgery while dealing with the pain.

Shoulder injuries are notoriously painful, but within a couple of weeks after surgery he should be getting back to normal. Sadly, he’ll be back at work.

MM MD

I injected morphine for fun once. It wasn’t that fun. I’m definitely an upper person.

Dam thats a sore yin as we say, I was constipated so morphine was no good. :relaxed:

Morphine gives a lot of people dysphoria - meaning a creepy/I don’t like this/edgy sensation.

Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) doesn’t. That shit is evil, and I’ve had it twice after surgery. I fully understand how people get addicted.

MM MD

Yeah, usually people have to use a long time before they develop it. In one study I saw, median time of use before onset of the syndrome was 16 years.

I’ve seen data that edibles are less of a risk than inhaling - again from Colorado. Cycling vomiting admissions are much more rarely associated with edibles than with inhaling, even accounting for differences in base rates.

I’m positive I’ve heard him call in to cable news since the injury and he seemed as lucid as normal, which, granted, isn’t necessarily a high bar.