Healthcare USA #1

that advice about bp is super bad fyi

nvm misread while not paying attention in a meeting

1 Like

Just read this crap.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=351115&newpost=6067499

I cannot imagine ever having to navigate this river of utter shit, let alone on a regular basis. Iā€™m on rage tilt just reading it.

The surgical assistant thing is a well known bullshit move by surgeons.

What is the angle here? I get that itā€™s surprise billing but there must be more to it than that. Have to assume that itā€™s a trap or a freeroll or both but I donā€™t know if thereā€™s some specific 7-moves-to-checkmate technicality nested in the decision tree of signing / not signing. My gut would be to not sign shit and tell them to suck it from the back.

Iā€™m 100% not signing simply because with coinsurance the dude is on the hook for 10% of any recovery.

Of course even with a balance billing law there is nothing stopping these assholes from eventually turning it over to collections and ruining the dudes credit.

1 Like

I remember this happened to me when we were having our second kid.

Both were scheduled c-sections and not particularly complicated, but if anything first one was slightly more complex based on what they told us leading up to delivery.

First one, obstetrician does by herself. No problem at all.

A couple of years later, same obstetrician, like 2 minutes before shows up with another doc and is like ā€œThis is Dr. X and she will be assisting me with the procedureā€. Seemed pretty bullshit to me, but I wasnā€™t about to interrogate them and try to call the bluff. I wanted them to be 100% focused on the matter at hand and not distracted in any way. So, I didnā€™t really say anything.

Everything went fine. There was a large charge for the second doc, but that was also completely covered by my insurance, so that was the end of it for me. Iā€™m still pretty sure the second doc was not exactly necessary, but I guess there is no way Iā€™ll be 100%.

To be honest, if she said, ā€œIā€™ve got this other doc here and Iā€™m just gonna have her stand next to me in case I keel over mid-delivery so that she can take over, but thatā€™s gonna be an extra $1000ā€, Iā€™d have told them to take my money.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like if people who actually have money and understand what to do with it struggle this much with understanding this, what change do the rest of us have.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the thing, assuming good faith, if a surgeon says they need someone else there with them, you fucking want someone else there with them.

System has just been abused, and the outrageous charges are outrageous obviously.

You know what I love doing when Iā€™m in intense pain and am wondering if I should go to the ER? Figuring out if my insurer will deem it a necessary visit or not with 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars on the line if Iā€™m wrong.

3 Likes

This is one of two ways that health care insurance companies are trying to fuck over ER doctors.

Itā€™s pretty interesting from an outsiderā€™s perspective (which thankfully is my perspective in this). Thereā€™s two main battles going on between EM physicians and insurance companies.

1. Is above. ER doctors are tasked with ruling out an emergency and liable if they donā€™t, then donā€™t get paid if they do rule people out. Thatā€™s utter bullshit.
  2. Surprise billing laws. This is more of a gray area. Thereā€™s more than a few EM groups that fuck over people by contracting with no insurance companies. This means that even if you go to an ā€˜in-networkā€™ hospital, the ER physician isnā€™t in-network, and will balance bill your ass. The exact particulars of these kind of laws are important though, as if you overdo it, youā€™re letting the insurer set prices for everything.

Pay is a super touchy issue for ER doctors, who generally have gotten brutally fucked over pay wise since the pandemic started.

And by design. That form is basically a freeroll and probably looks like this to most people:

Maybe one of these is an unmarked self-destruct button. Choose wisely.

What % do we think are signing that form? It has to be a non-trivial number.

Why would hospitals allow billable staff members to be assigned to procedures if they arenā€™t in the patientā€™s network?

The average ER physician salary according to Google is 250k-350k/year - is that what you mean when you say this? Has their pay been cut during the pandemic or something?

It depends on the exact setup, but most of the time the ER isnā€™t staffed by hospital employees, and are instead staffed by EM physician groups that are third parties. Thatā€™s why youā€™ll frequently (but not always) receive a bill from a hospital and a physician group when you go to an ER.

The amount of people going to the ER plummeted with the pandemic. This resulted in hours being slashed, which increased supply of labor, which resulted in salaries dropping. Itā€™s been slow to rebound.

Thereā€™s also a midlevel issue (NPs, PAs) that have creeped into more ER jobs.

ā€œpeople love their private insuranceā€

1 Like

Walmartā€™s version of the lifesaving drug is largely identical to insulins sold by the others. Itā€™s a so-called analog insulin, meaning itā€™s the most effective, fastest-acting version, not some older formulation that doesnā€™t work as well.

Which raises a few questions. Such as, if Walmart can profitably sell insulin at a fraction of current prices, why hasnā€™t anyone else done so before now?

Alarmingly, some people with diabetes have been forced to ration their insulin doses, placing them at risk of medical complications and even death.

A 2019 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that almost 1 in 7 of U.S. adults with diabetes werenā€™t using insulin as prescribed by their doctors because of the high cost.

But with a handful of companies now cornering the insulin market, he said, ā€œit may take a chiseler like Walmart to break the gentlemanā€™s agreement.ā€

FFFFFUUUUU - itā€™s called collusion. The fact that we canā€™t fix such an egregious and impactful price-fixing scam at the federal level is so disheartening. It has to be complete and total regulatory capture by the drug industry.

5 Likes

Several weeks ago I received a letter from insurance stating that the pharmacy benefits manager for my plan had changed and that I should present the new card beginning mid-July. From there, things have transpired about as I expected: I arrive at pharmacy and get rung up for an exorbitant amount Iā€™m not paying. Tech checks it, says new plan requires brand name (seems odd?), refills it, still denied because new PA required, faxes doctor for PA, office says 3-5 biz ETA which > meds on hand. Itā€™s clear to me at that point (Friday) I should negotiate cash price because PA might be denied, and sure enough I received that denial today. So now itā€™s appeal / letter of medical necessity territory which is more hoop jumping, more friction by design for something Iā€™ve been taking with routine PA renewals for the last 5 years.

Ultimately it shouldnā€™t be a problem for me even if the appeal is denied. Using Rx coupon sites reduces the cash price to something affordable, but I know that isnā€™t the case for everyone. Also, the ā€œSurprise! Fuck you!ā€ factor of finding out only when you make your routine stop at the pharmacy is really enraging. Insurer knows exactly which Rx Iā€™m on and that itā€™s not possible to have enough surplus on hand to wait out an appeal process. By induction, I assumed that this hot tactic must be on the rise which I confirmed within seconds:

https://www.consumerreports.org/prescription-drugs/when-your-insurer-drops-your-prescription-drug/

Every month for several years, April Flowers filled her 14-year-old daughterā€™s prescription for antiseizure medication expecting to pay nothing once she met her deductible. Then just before Christmas in 2019, her Walgreens pharmacist had shocking news: Her out-of-pocket cost had gone upā€”to $1,700.

The American Medical Association, which represents doctors, has described midyear formulary changes as a bait and switch. Consumers chose their plan ā€œbecause their drugs were going to be covered and affordable,ā€ the association said as part of a recent campaign critical of PBMsā€™ role in setting prescription drug availability.

1 Like