Healthcare USA #1

Shit. Only two years?

That sounded worse that I made it - they’re going to be surprised if I don’t go for two years - make it there, and a scientific wild ass guess is 2-3 or significantly longer, probably about 50/50 - and there is always something coming down the pike, too.

On a funny note, if I get past the first 8 weeks or so, I get to wear some sort of fancy stocking cap 18 hours a day for the next year, that somehow generates a low grade electrical field around your brain. The thing I find amusing (per my friend at the ray/onc dept. at the Mayo) is 1) they really haven’t figured out how it works yet, and 2) per him, the results are “fucking amazing”. Which I was happy to hear, cause I don’t care HOW it works.

MM MD

10 Likes

Pulling for you being around for a long time Hobbes. Always been a big fan of yours and your contributions to these healthcare discussions have been invaluable to this layperson.

3 Likes

Hobbes is going to be like 120 going, “I don’t know how this damn electrical hat works, but it’s FUCKING AMAZING!”

The kids are going to be like, “Shut up, grandpa, we’ve all had electrical hats since 2050.”

I’m (or was) an ER doc. Focused and deliberate is probably, and always has been, off the table.

MM MD

1 Like

People at my job act like I’m mentally ill for driving a Honda sedan. Taking a pass on giving a shit about such things was a major life hack.

4 Likes

I’ve been skeptical of the “it’s all a sim” theory of the universe, but if it turns out that Hobbes gets his life saved by literally putting on a tin foil hat, y’all can count me in…

4 Likes

Let’s not lose touch with reality here. It’s palladium foil.

2 Likes

Just read an article which discusses this: Poverty isn’t a lack of character. It’s a lack of cash - The Correspondent

From the article:

“Our effects correspond to between 13 and 14 IQ points,” Shafir says. “That’s comparable to losing a night’s sleep or the effects of alcoholism.”

3 Likes

Just read an article where they simulated how fees would behave if everyone was insured in a public option. The result was that everyone and the employers could save 145€ a year. Reason is that formerly privately insured people are paying more because of better wages and are often healthier.
Due to my work I meet few private insured people and they often try to negotiate their co-pay on bills because they dont get all the money back from their insurances. A lot of people dont even know whats exactly written in their contracts and how much their insurances pay. As they are getting older they are getting more worried about their bills because their insurance payments go up drastically and then they have to pay a part of their medical bills out of their own pocket. Quite few dont realize that they saved quite a lot of money when they were younger. When I was living in Malta for a year because of Poker a friend of mine only had to pay about 200 bucks for one year worth of insurance when he was 18/19. I had to pay about 800 because I was already 28 or so at the time but it was still much lower than what I pay over a year now that I am employed in Germany.

So that might be a point for M4A to explore if average americans could even save money if everyone is forced on the public option.

2 Likes

What I hate most is that there a lot of people who try to get back into the public option later in life. So first they save a lot of money and once they are 50 they try to get back into the safe haven of the public option. There are few ways like going family-insured or giving up being boss and work with some employment scheme where you can get back into the public option.

Last Week Tonight made a comeback. Did an episode on M4A and as expected, it sucked.

Sure it made the standard arguments but they were all economic. When you do that, you’re playing by the rules set by the private healthcare industry. You’re not gonna win by doing that. You have to address this as a moral issue because that what it is. Not providing healthcare to all Americans is a moral failure that must be reversed regardless of cost.

So far, the only person who has discussed the morality of healthcare is Bernie Sanders and that’s why he’s the only person who can get it done. Every other candidate is discussing it from a free-market perspective and that’s why they will not pass it. Might get Obamacare 2.0 if you’re lucky but that’s it.

2 Likes

I just watched it and actually thought it was quite fair towards UHC, certainly better than any mainstream media has been to-date. He argued against the three most common criticisms (cost, wait, choice) and made it clear that he is in favor of it. He also addressed the moral issue, not explicitly by using the word “moral” but by pointing out the horrors of our current system and noting that an improvement in the new system would be covering an extra 27mil Americans.

It wasn’t a segment designed for us, it was designed for skeptics, and I’d happily send it to my UHC-skeptic friends.

1 Like

Yeah those were the standard arguments I was referring to. That’s nice and all. Problem is that they’re all based in free market ideas.

It needs to be pushed as a moral obligation, not a financial one.

2 Likes

Just got a 1 week script for lovenox (blood thinner I need to be on after having a filter pulled Wed. for a small DVT.) Per my pharmacist friend, if I’d walked up to the counter uninsured, $1280.00 - insured but under deductible $240.00 - after deductible $0.

AND, we had a cat getting lovenox injections twice a day for 18 months - his monthly bill for same med (same packaging/dosage/injector) was $96.

MM MD

1 Like

That’s just criminal. Of course they will decry the different regulations for humans but it is not legitimate.

There’s a reason why people who need drugs on the down low go to veternarians.

Grunching this thread completely hoping to get a basic question answered.

What is the proper rebuttal when someone anti-m4a spits out the “you wait 3 months for an MRI in Canada” talking point? Like I know emergency tests or surgeries can happen just as fast as in the US, but is there any pushback to that attack line?

I would go with “I know you are but what am I”

Seriously though, I am guessing they have little-to-no experience getting an mri in both Canada and the US. Tell them it only takes a week. Their source is no better than yours.

2 Likes