Healthcare USA #1

Hobbes - hope everything works out in your favor. I’ve appreciated your contributions over the years.

2 Likes

Damn.
One time for slow growing and benign!
Ex-Sister-in-Law has one that they cut out every so often and she just keeps on going.

I value your contributions here and at 2p2. Top level poster imo.
Best to your wife

2 Likes

Thanks for the all kind words. Weird to be on the other then of the stethoscope.

Surgery at 8am tomorrow (Tuesday) hopefully either Thurs pm or Friday am and we’ll know about more. I’m in good hands, so let’s have a bit of run-good come our way. Thanks again. My wife is struggling, not surprisingly.

MM MD

6 Likes

Wishing all the best for you and your wife.

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for a time where I can say this phrase with absolute sincerity: Thank you for your service.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear about this! I hope it’s the best case scenario and you have a speedy recovery. I always appreciate your excellent insight on healthcare related topics and enjoyed the discussions with you on the various forums the community has been on.

So I had to (temporarily) come out of retirement to wish you the best.

4 Likes

Hey while you’re at it, come out of retirement more than temporarily.

2 Likes

Thanks for everything - it really means a lot. I’ll probably be in the hospital either Thurs or Friday - so I’ll try to get an update (hopefully ASAP) after getting home. Very much appreciating for the good thoughts for everyone (I’ll really hoping for the best)

MM MD

3 Likes

As a former cancer patient (and I only had testicular cancer) I know that even with a rational approach to the whole thing there will most likely be times when you are scared shitless and do not want to talk to people close to you about it, because you feel that people around you are already under enough pressure.

We are there for you, as it‘s sometimes easier to tell stuff like that to semi-strangers.

All the best for you and your Family!

6 Likes

Sending turbo good thoughts to Nevada.

We are definitely all here for you.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Be in the OR at 11a, hopefully in the ICU overnight - and then we’ll see what is next.

I’m vacillating between confidence in my treatment team and hoping for the best, with occasional episodes of being scared to death. Keeping my fingers crossed.

MM MD

10 Likes

Kick ass, Hobbes.

Hobbes Man, as I’m just a lurker we’ve never interacted, but I can honestly say I’ve never once skimmed a single post of yours (here or at the other site), always read every single word. Biggest complement I can pay.

Best of, good sir.

5 Likes

LOL I miss Cardo - hope he’s doing ok

Sometimes life can get real in a hurry. Thinking of you and your wife Hobbes.

2 Likes

Man where did he go?

The impact of UHC has benefits far beyond the physical.

It helps psychologically as well. I’m not talking about having insurance for that. I’m talking about having the peace of mind to know that I can see a doctor without it being an unexpected cost to take care of. That’s most of what sucks about healthcare in America. You’re basically rolling the dice on your health. If you’re healthy then you save money. If you run into bad luck or have a chronic condition, then you’re fucked. But because UHC comes from an expected cost, I don’t have to go into a panic about being able to afford the care necessary to get better.

There’s this obsession over taxes and not raising them but anybody with any common sense would realize the benefits of a tax increase across the board if it meant UHC for all.

Bernie is the way and the truth and the life. No one in America gets UHC except through him.

5 Likes

It’s still the prices stupid

A 2003 article titled “It’s the Prices, Stupid,” and coauthored by the three of us and the recently deceased Uwe Reinhardt found that the sizable differences in health spending between the US and other countries were explained mainly by health care prices. As a tribute to him, we used Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Health Statistics to update these analyses and review critiques of the original article. The conclusion that prices are the primary reason why the US spends more on health care than any other country remains valid, despite health policy reforms and health systems restructuring that have occurred in the US and other industrialized countries since the 2003 article’s publication. On key measures of health care resources per capita (hospital beds, physicians, and nurses), the US still provides significantly fewer resources compared to the OECD median country. Since the US is not consuming greater resources than other countries, the most logical factor is the higher prices paid in the US. Because the differential between what the public and private sectors pay for medical services has grown significantly in the past fifteen years, US policy makers should focus on prices in the private sector.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2018.05144

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting a Hobbes post.

6 Likes

Was just thinking this. Worried about him and his wife off and on all day.

Me three. Hope all went well for @hobbes9324