Healthcare USA #1

FYP

Lol ā€˜onceā€™ we go into trillions of dollars of debt lol. Weā€™re already there big time. Hilariously thatā€™s about to backfire hard on the Boomers when they devalue the currency monetizing the debt. Yeah your house is still worth 250k when you paid 50k for itā€¦ but the 250k is going to be worth ~150k in todays money. Ditto for every single asset/income stream you own. Meanwhile my earning power is going to keep up just fine as is the valuation of my small business.

Not sorry the Boomers can get fucked.

1 Like

In many cases, they donā€™t understand the bolded. Like, they voted in their self-interest with no thought whatsoever to who would be impactedā€¦ And they tend to assume that everyone elseā€™s experience is just like their own.

Like dive into the mind of a 65 year old white guyā€¦ Youā€™re 30 and poor? Must be a lazy piece of shit. Youā€™re black and a cop shot you? Must have done something to piss him off, theyā€™re always so nice to me! Not going to have social security when you retire? LOL stupid millennials and their fear-mongering and complaining. Itā€™s the third rail, they canā€™t kill it!

Top 1% is probably 150-200K for the late 20ā€™s/early 30ā€™s. But if you just started making that much, and want to pay down some debt and get ahead on savings for retirement, house, etc, that could easily be ā€œnot enoughā€ to have kids.

Ding ding ding. Also just because Iā€™m comfortably making that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m stably making that. Iā€™ll be lucky to break six figures this year because of the conditions in the trucking industry (I had to let my one employee go in April because there was no work for him and he didnā€™t feel like doing salesā€¦ but Iā€™m doing really well relative to other people in my position who are thinning out as we speak). Iā€™m also at a precarious moment where I could still absolutely regress economically if I donā€™t keep the pedal to the metal. Having kids and ā€˜making timeā€™ would be a huge game changer, and make that significantly more likely.

Look itā€™s the golden age of the high end freelancer, and Iā€™m benefiting a lot from thatā€¦ but I just sent my wife back to work. She was working on the business, but thereā€™s not enough work to keep me busy so we sent her back to nursing to go get us some health insurance and some extra cash to make up for how things have been going on my end this year.

Thereā€™s no guarantee out there that my place in the upper middle class is secure today. I spent 3 years seriously worried about Amazon and/or Uber showing up and just ruining my whole industry until both threats recently receded. Thereā€™s a lot more chaos on the horizon and I donā€™t have much in common with some Boomer in 1984 with a good corporate job making about what I make. That Boomer was a LOT safer than I am right nowā€¦ and did basically the same thing I do.

As always, income is a bad measure of economic health

edit:
and donā€™t wait too long on kids, or you may get a nasty biological surprise. Humans are still genetically designed to have kids early.

Yeah weā€™re waiting another 2 years or so max.

I wonder if guys get something like that going on. I know I dated girls who were essentially baby crazy during their time. I know having a kid enters my mind as a likely inevitability of getting into a relationship. Maybe itā€™s not biologically programmed into me, but Iā€™ve probably thought about it more in the last year than I did in my entire 20s.

Never had the urge. Even being around nephews never felt like I was missing out.

How old are you?

old enough to be sure (late 40s)

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1171198534839930880

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/1171433456363925504

1 Like

Fair enough.

The only thing I would say is that your reactions to nephews and nieces is not necessarily a good test for how you would feel about being a parent. Being a dad is one of lifeā€™s rare, truly unique experiences. Thatā€™s one of the reasons itā€™s so hard to decide whether or not to have kids: a person without kids is not a competent judge of what itā€™s like to have kids.

1 Like

I was locked in to not having kids then my ex got pregnant and here we are. My net worth is orders of magnitude less than it would be without a child but Iā€™m still better off

1 Like

My family has what Iā€™d consider great insurance via employment (obviously USA #1). A few months ago my wife made a misstep on our stairs while holding our 9 month old. Thank God her maternal instincts kicked in and she held our girl and took the damage herself.

Broken tailbone and some spinal compression fractures. We had to call an ambulance and do the whole emergency room thing and weā€™ll be paying for it for a while. Itā€™s a legit setback, financially speaking.

I have a cousin whoā€™s currently in Germany on vacation for Oktoberfest. She broke her arm riding a bike (and falling, duh) the first few days. She had to go to the emergency room via ambulance also. Sheā€™s gonna be fine and she will not be in debt to Angela Merkel the rest of her life (other than for not having it happen in the USA) (and we wonā€™t be in debt the rest of our lives either, just another year based on our payment plan, but itā€™s still bullshit.)

(Is that how you use parentheses?)

Go Healthcare USA #1

1 Like

Worth a watch.

Cool, thanks. My local doctor keeps pushing to send me there despite me saying no multiple times (based on how shitty their ā€œexpertsā€ are in a certain area). This just makes it a slam dunk now.

https://twitter.com/aawayne/status/1172142597097381888?s=21