Healthcare USA #1

Due to COVID?

That sucks bro. Sorry to hear it.

First mri i no idea what to expect and almost had a panic attack.

But now I find the noise pretty soothing and doze off after 5-10 minutes, I’ve been offered music but being stuck in there having no control over the music seemed like it would be torture

I always ask for the mirror. I like being able to see out

Thanks. Most likely due to a cold-like sickness I had 3 weeks ago (definitely not Covid), but maybe connected to a shingles vaccine I got last week. Doctors seem optimistic that it’ll start to get better within a week or so but I can’t tell if they’re just trying to keep my spirits up.

1 Like

Good Christ. Let’s hope not.

I get the warm wash cloth over my eyes and ask for NPR. The mirrors make it feel even more like a 2001: A Space Odyssey torture device to me.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1554869148945195008

Well fuck. That’s a tough one. Good chances at full recovery but obviously scary as shit. Good luck

the 1st amendment was a mistake

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1556343622353788928

If you ever wondered what Objectivist Medicine might look like…

Spoiler: dO yOuR oWn ReSeArCh

(32:45 - 38:00)

Knock on wood, but this seems to be spot on. They confirmed Guillain Barre, I guess mainly through symptoms and by ruling out other things. Doesn’t sound like there’s a direct test for it.

They put me on a 5 day course of IV treatments. On about day 3, I reached my nadir. Couldn’t walk at all and my arms were too weak to shift my body in bed. When you’re immobile like that you really learn to appreciate the nurses and staff (and to be annoyed at the occasional bad ones). Almost all of them were fantastic: competent and compassionate.

At my worst I was worried about if and how long it would take to recover. You read things that say “months” and hear about some who never fully recover, and it gets scary.

But I seem to be bouncing back quickly. After being discharged to an inpatient rehab center where I’ve been for 5 days, I’ll be ready to go home tomorrow. I’m able to walk by myself without a walker now, which I was afraid would take a lot longer to get to. So yeah, it sucks but it could have been much worse.

I definitely appreciate the care I’ve gotten. Maybe the system works? I still haven’t seen any bills, so that could change my mind. But the money side of things never got in the way of getting my treatments and therapy when I needed them, so I’m grateful for that.

18 Likes

I still don’t understand this whole drug discount card thing.

We’re on a marketplace insurance plan right now, as my wife lost her job over the summer and she won’t have new insurance through her new job until October (she starts Monday - was supposed to start last week, but they erred on the side of caution when our son got COVID, which then spread to the rest of us).

Had to refill a prescription, which cost about $150 at Walgreens with insurance. I Googled “drug discount” and ended up at SingleCare, which is like GoodRx. Typed in the drug and we can get it for $23 at Kroger.

Literally all I did was a two-second Google search, had the doctor send the script over to Kroger, told Kroger the codes on the web page, and I save about $130. I didn’t sign up for anything. If I didn’t think to do quick internet search for some random code numbers, I would’ve been gouged. It’s absurd. Makes no sense whatsoever.

It’s because doctors are scammers. Good job looking out for yourself.

1 Like

How is the doctor making money off of dlk9s if he pays the $150? What’s the scam, exactly?

Edit: I got scammed on my pony

Lol come on

IIRC this is because when the insurance companies negotiate with large chain pharmacies, they put in a bunch of clauses about retail prices and not discounting anything to people who walk in off the street. The cards like goodRx etc basically are a workaround.

If you walk in off the street at some electrical supply places you might pay $2000 for an electrical service panel. An insurance company might pay $1500. A contractor with an account might pay $200. Same panel might cost $220 at Home Depot. There are a lot of reasons for pricing. Some of it is that a distributor wants to protect their regular clients. Some of it is that people who don’t know better get charged more. Some of it is that people who pass on expenses don’t care what things cost.

giphy

1 Like

I really wanted to hear how he was going to connect those dots.

Appreciate the kudos, but as others said, it has nothing to do with the doctor. She just prescribed the medication (generic, not brand name, FWIW). The price has nothing to do with her.

The cost savings for customers at cash pharmacies can be eye-popping, depending on their specific medications and insurance plan benefits. One Freedom Pharmacy customer who lives in Florida but frequently travels to the Columbus area for work recently began taking a generic form of Tecfidera, a multiple sclerosis medication. His pharmacy told him the prescription would cost $650 per month. Hesitant to essentially be “paying rent for another apartment I can’t use,” he said he began looking for cheaper options, including contacting Freedom Pharmacy ahead of his next business trip.

He reached Hux, who told him that he could pick up a three-month supply of the medication for $85.

After boarding a flight home in May with three bottles of medication and a wallet only $84.55 lighter, the customer said he plans to become a regular. “Fortunately my work requires me to go to Ohio quite a bit. But if work doesn’t send me, then I can make a trip on my own. Even then it will be cheaper.”

1 Like