Hard at Work or Hardly Working, CEO Edition

Wait, you guys are saying this guy didn’t work hard?

2 Likes

This is just not true, though. There are obviously great CEOs. Jeff Bezos is a whistle dick asshole but he’s a fucking incredible CEO. Without Warren Buffet, Berkshire Hathaway doesn’t exist. Capital allocation is really hard!

Money laundering

No idea who that is.

1 Like

I have noticed that the best CEOs seem to describe their job as just clearing stuff out of the way so their employees can do their jobs, and otherwise staying out of the way.

Obviously when you get to the M&A level it’s a different story.

Ok, sure, but when people create addictive products and governments don’t step in with any kind of meaningful regulation, I’m not gonna give the CEO much credit for “capital allocation”. Oh look, Mark Zuckerberg has built a giant corporate valuation using unregulated digital heroin! What a capital allocation genius!

1 Like

MySpace.

Is in no way at all similar to modern day Facebook.

It’s the difference between an Atari and a PS5.

For sure. My point was to counter the idea that Facebook dominance was inevitable and had nothing to do with Zuckerberg. Theoretically, MySpace could have been Facebook.

I dont think that’s true at all. It’s like saying blackberry could be Apple.

It can’t be all that and some of zuckerberg? Seems pretty obvious it was all those things in combination.

Perhaps I’m not being clear. I’m saying the opposite. Blackberry wasn’t Apple, partly because it wasnt run as well. Of course, as pocketchads points out there were a ton of other factors at play as well.

I’m just not faulting MySpace for not wanting to be the company Facebook is. MySpace was a cute product primarily for teens. Facebook made decisions to be everything for everyone and is just evil as fuck.

1 Like

I agree with both your points.

I just think there is tendency to view the survivors in business as somehow inevitable. It seems odd to assign zuckerberg blame for making Facebook evil (which I agree with) while simultaneously trying to deny him some credit for making it a huge mega corporation.

1 Like

He deserves credit in the same way tobacco CEOs should I guess?

1 Like

Yes.

So I understand, your position is zuckerberg played no role in facebooks current dominance?

This is tin foil territory but it is an interesting coincidence that the project the government was working on, Life Log, was shut down just a couple weeks before FB was founded

LifeLog aimed to compile a massive electronic database of every activity and relationship a person engages in. This was to include credit card purchases, web sites visited, the content of telephone calls and e-mails sent and received, scans of faxes and postal mail sent and received, instant messages sent and received, books and magazines read, television and radio selections, physical location recorded via wearable GPS sensors, biomedical data captured through wearable sensors. The high level goal of this data logging was to identify “preferences, plans, goals, and other markers of intentionality”.[2]

Another of DARPA’s goals for LifeLog had a predictive function. It sought to “find meaningful patterns in the timeline, to infer the user’s routines, habits, and relationships with other people, organizations, places, and objects, and to exploit these patterns to ease its task" [2] [3]

The DARPA program was canceled in late January, 2004, after criticism from civil libertarians concerning the privacy implications of the system…

Maybe the government didn’t directly help FB become what it is but I wouldnt be surprised by them indirectly helping it because of the possible ways they could use FB for surveillance. It’s almost exactly what they wanted LifeLog to become