Hard at Work or Hardly Working, CEO Edition

This seems pretty unlikely to me that being Secretary of State is a Cush job, but I have no way to prove it. I think your also vastly underestimating how much CEOs work. Have seen several articles based on premise it was super surprising that Bezos managed to find 7-8hrs for sleep as CEO.

Ya the idea CEOs work two hours a day, and sit around the rest of the time, is just wrong.

According to the report, CEOs worked an average of 9.7 hours per weekday and also put in an additional four hours per weekend day, on average.

Inb4, someone claims I’m defending CEO pay.

This is all true but also CEOs get to (mostly) do all the fun work.

Most CEOs of larger companies are older. Its possible to work 100 hour weeks when you’re a 23 year old investment banking analyst but its almost impossible when you’re over 50.

1 Like

This might start a big derail, but as someone who has spent a lot of time as the boss of a company and as an employee I would always pick boss, but it’s not all fun (as you acknowledge). Having the livelihood of many people your responsibility is very stressful, especially in difficult financial times. I’ll also say, by far (and not close) the hardest part of any job I have ever had is firing or laying people off. I realize it’s worst for the person being fired or laid off, but being the person who makes those decisions and tells the people is awful.

2 Likes

This is why its easier and more fun to be a corporate CEO is you’re a sociopath. And the shareholders will love you. Its win-win!

9 Likes

OMG

YOU’RE THE MAN. LITERALLY.

We have a double agent itt.

4 Likes

In my humble opinion the performance of a CEO is like 95% strategy.

Big organizations do not have unique cultures, no matter how much leaders try. They may have cultures of working insane hours (Amazon, Goldman Sachs), but at the end of the day people are just people.

The decisions that matter are strategic. What are we going to sell and to whom? What is our sustainable competitive advantage? What is the risk/reward equation? Should we acquire, be acquired, raise capital, grow organically, etc.

Jeff Immelt and Randall Stephenson were ultimately colossal failures because they sucked at capital allocation and M&A. This is also true for Trump, btw, on a much smaller scale. As much as I hate them, Bezos and Zuckerberg (and less hateably, Buffet and Cook) are fantastic at it.

3 Likes

Agree it is mostly strategy that their job description contains at the mega corporation level.

“Working” a long day at an office job is very different from working a shift in the service industry or trades. Did the poor manager clock in 10 hours yesterday getting coffee, talking about last night’s game, and playing with his phone during meetings? Did pumpkin have to rush through a 90 minute lunch? My heart, it bleeds.

17 Likes

This was something I posted in the leftist memes thread, it’s old numbers but some of the stuff they consider “work” isn’t what everyone might consider work. The travel and exercise part is a real eye roller lol

9 Likes

Looks like they spend 6-10 hours a week doing “work” that most people would consider work.

2 Likes

Yeah this is basically what I meant. Not saying they’re only in the office 2 hours a day, just that most of the time they aren’t " working " working.

The one CEO I know is like that. He just does meetings and then bullshits around the other 90% of the time. Mostly just talking to other people.

Exercise?

The WSJ couldn’t say these super high paid people were working less than 40 hrs a week, had to fill in the gaps somehow

3 Likes

Yeah, but they could have just gone with “Travel and other activities”.

Exercise releases endorphins that are essential to have the mindset necessary to function as a CEO… duh!

1 Like

The super hard working CEO shit is just propaganda and some of you had fallen for it. My uncle is a senior VP for a company and he is the go get shit done person. The CEO just has meetings and lunches and bullshits most of the time.

1 Like

Right, but mainstream discussion of CEOs is straight hagiography. Everything they do is a virtue. The person making that graphic probably thought “Wow! These heroes even make time to exercise more than normal people!”

That’s true, this is the article where the picture is from