Happiest Season

This looks good. Would never have guessed Kristin Stewart would turn into one of my fave actresses, but humble beginnings and all that. She was also fantastic in the recent Charlie’s Angels re-quel directed by comedic star Elizabeth Banks.

2 Likes

This looks really good.

1 Like

Happiest Season is a crying movie. Also lots of laughs, but you’re mostly going to be crying. Dan Levy is hilarious as usual, but it’s really an all-star cast, and it’s hard to say anyone steals the show when they’re all so good. Would watch again as a family movie once everyone can be together.

1 Like

Going to watch now. I am excite!

1 Like

I really enjoyed Happiest Season. Agreed that the cast is stellar. Probably too good for this type of film, tbh, but they help sell some of the more ridiculous rom-com bits. Papa Bristow should get to play every gruff but loving father, and Stewart does really well playing someone who is a lot like who she seems to be irl. Also, I’m totally a Riley, so I appreciated what Aubrey Plaza was bringing to the table.

1 Like

Happiest Season was decent enough but at no point was I choking back tears. Loopy sister was really good in it though.

1 Like

Now that’s a good deep cut.

Stewart was fantastic. I hope she does more romcoms like this.

And wow, what an amazing accomplishment for actor turned writer/producer/director Clea Duvall. I looooooooved her in the sort-of-unfinished HBO series Carnivàle (2003-2005). She’s of course done much more work since then, including recent appearances in Better Call Saul, The Handmaid’s Tale, and her 2016 directorial debut The Intervention. All excellent, but this is the one that makes me excited to see what she writes/directs next.

Are you as snarky as Riley?? I’m sad to say I related most to Harper, but I’m working on being more visibly authentic.

Oh, yeah, +1 on the props to Clea. <3 her.

I can be, yeah. Aloof sarcasm is kinda my default, especially as a defense mechanism in awkward situations. I also really enjoy drag shows :). Also, I had a couple experiences that I found very relatable. Like times when I was involuntarily outed, or being friends with people who were out but whose serious partners were not, stuff like that.

1 Like

That’s what all three of us said last night. A good drag show is finally back on the horizon. All hail the vaccine.

I agree with you, it’s tough on all sides of the equation. I’ve been the one with an unreasonable secret, the one wishing the other person would just be honest about it, the one free of that shame and hoping someone I let go of is one day ready to do that or risk losing more important people. There was a lot to relate to in the movie. Even the asshole parents at the end.

1 Like

Happiest Season is fucking delightful.

1 Like

I’m about as deep as I plan to get.

omg you’re going to have to be banished! not even trying an episode

1 Like

Ok nm, it was fine until like the last hour and now I’ve been bored to tears.

2 Likes

…the movie is only an hour and half

1 Like

Boo this man! I move to strike his second post from the record!

Okay okay okay. This is the one with Lucy Lawless, correct? Love her.

I love that it’s now a running gag I am ever going to watch Rome

So, I guess we’ll be getting a sequel?

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1333877279202664450?s=19

2 Likes

I want a Happiest Season Cinematic Universe.

Riley’s story next.

Heck I’ll even take one about the parents almost splitting up after this debacle.

I’ll also take a prequel on Riley and Harper.

1 Like

The TV Concierge podcast has some discussion about this. Their ideas included:

• Riley goes on a lesbian cruise.

• “Father of the Bride” style movie based around the eventual wedding.

I would watch the heck out of both, but my preferred version of the first would not exactly be light family fare…

1 Like