Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

And yeah would rather do another grab bag than an eliminator.

1 Like

Single judge

Well whatever we do next Iā€™m in

I agree (lol it took me longer than expected to get bold that word)

1 Like

Down vote

With survival the name of the game expect to see a lot of safe mid table quality tracks submitted.

Something I wish I thought of at the start of this Walrus was for people to optionally keep track of the one song they liked the most that was outside of their category, and not one of their submissions. Just an extra layer for people to discuss after the conclusion.

For me I think it might be the song Miliboo submitted for the last category - Love Spreads by The Stone Roses. Looking at the Spotify listens I can see it is a really well known track but was completely unknown to me.

3 Likes

I have nfc how popular uk bands are in th US and am way too lazy to google, but was quite surpirsed nicholas at heard it 100s of times. I had a few US roomies from 2p2 back in the Buenos Aires days and one of them was into The Roses so I guess I should have known better.

Fwiw anything off their debut album >> than this submission but I was pandering a little.

It really just depends on where you lived at the time they were big. Much like politics, if you lived in a red flyover state with few radio options, you probably werenā€™t hearing bands like The Stone Roses on your Top 40 station piped in from Omaha.

If you lived in LA or NY and heard KROQ or WLIR, then you probably heard them in heavy rotation. Or in my case, Oxford, OH and WOXY (we were an outlier). I grew up on brit wave bands.

1 Like

I did not forget about you. I just didnā€™t have the time to do this properly.

Those are some severe restrictions. The ā€œgrowled vocalsā€ one already literally throws out more than half my collection. No ā€œoperatic vocalsā€ kills most of symphonic metal which I really like.
Iā€™ll post a bunch of stuff from different genres and hopefully there will be something in there for you.

1 Like

Iā€™ll start off with Crossover/Rap Metal.

This was released in 2017 but might as well have been from last week:

1 Like

From the 90s:

Alternative metal:

1 Like

Metalcore is problematic because a lot of contains some form of growls or screams.

This is about the shooting of Amadou Diallo

We can walk right past Black, Dark and Death Metal and see if maybe Doom Metal does something for you although I am skeptical.

One of my favorite bands is Paradise Lost so they get three songs:

This is from Candlemassā€™s seminal album Epicus Doomicus Metallicus which gave the name to the entire genre:

Next stop: Folk Metal

Gothic Metal

I already posted The Vision Bleak under Doom Metal but they probably better fit here:

Iā€™ll do some other genres tomorrow.

Nice work @LouisCyphre!

2 Likes

Thanks! Will check these out.

For today I have some Power Metal. Theoretically it should work for you. Typically there are no growls and it rarely gets very heavy. The lyrics can be cringe-worthy, often either high fantasy themed or go something like ā€œWe are strong. We will win the battle.ā€

Typical examples are Hammerfall or Manowar.

ā€¦and then there is Gloryhammer which turns it up to 11.