Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

In 8th place with 6 points
Silk Road - Kitaro

(Kinda dreamy but mostly cheese. Feels like a song from the Zelda games.)

2 Likes

Youā€™re telling me now???

3 Likes

It seems a lot of you have dreams about cheese. I applaud you for supporting the dairy industry in these trying times.

6 Likes

NOT IN THE CHEESE CATEGORY! Woohoo!

4 Likes

I definitely might have fps-ed this category, but I figured youā€™d have heard all of that stuff.

1 Like

Quoi?

Fancy play syndrome

I think I got your pick figured out.

Ominous

1 Like

I did the opposite. I just submitted the first thing in my playlist that popped into my head (which was definitely influenced by my mood and these weird times).

Helps that I have at least one example of every genre Pauwl listed in my playlist.

1 Like

I did feel there was some pandering in the entries, but I couldnā€™t knock them since the other entries paled to them.

In 7th place with 7 points
The Dark is Rising - Mercury Rev

(Sounds like Galaxie 500 kinda, but even more like a child singing. I googled the band and the genres listed are good.
I just couldnā€™t get over his voice)

2 Likes

I thought about submitting this song. I always think it sounds like something from a musical, but is actually good.

Their third album, See You On The Other Side, is a proper masterpiece of the genre, imo, though itā€™s the first one where that guy does most of the singing.

Motherfucker

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bb67c90732bfb0f7239616e5774fa437/tenor.gif

3 Likes

now that iā€™m out as the worst dairy-free entry, i can say that I think you kinda forced us into fps. You listed a very narrow list of genres and asked to pick even more specific songs, which most of us assumed you are very familiar with.

Cocteau Twins were like the super obvious choice and I figured you are super familiar with everything if you suggested this category. We all FPSā€™ed ourselves and I blame you.

3 Likes

In 6th place with 8 points
No Sound But the Wind - The Editors

Live Version was also provided:

(Not really dream invoking but it has some nice lyrics. The song tells the saga of a new moon appearing in the twilight. Sounds like the kinda thing I listened to when I was around 20. ā€œCarry the fireā€ made me think of The Road)

The curse remains unbroken

3 Likes

Back from digging sweet potatoes, whadimiss?

O lordy. Had to google the definition of cheesy just in case Iā€™d been using it wrong all my life.

1 Like

In 5th place with 9 points
Inside: 2nd Movement Part 1 - Steffen Basho-Junghans

I found it on youtube:

(I got excited when I saw Basho in the title and thought it would be a Robbie Basho collaboration. Turns out the guy really admired Robbie Basho and took on the name based on the poet Matsuo Bashō who Robbie Basho changed his name based on. I couldnā€™t help but think how Blue Crystal Fire would have ranked here. It says this guy is heavily influenced by the Takoma Records guys that Iā€™m so fond of like Fahey, Basho, and to a lesser extent Kottke. I didnā€™t like this track that much, but I looked this guy up and he has some really cool steel string guitar stuff. Ragas and weird Basho type stuff. This was a very good artist choice for me as I had never heard of this guy, but the song choice just didnā€™t do it for me. I listened to this one more than any other entry and looked way deeper into his other works. Of the 46 views on the youtube video, Iā€™m like 20% of those )

pyatnitski?