GOP insanity spinoff: UP interviews lagtight

Depends on how proud you are to still believe in fairy tales. Like how old do you think the earth is? Do you really believe that once upon a time there was an 800 year old man who built a big boat and gathered 2 of every species on earth inside to ride out some big flood?

If so, you’re too far gone (at least for me) to engage

However, if you just take your morality from the bible, then we can possibly talk

2 Likes

I quoted your post from 22 that you “believe” in, as stated in that one “pray the gay away,” a derisive slang for conversion therapy.

I re-read the post and my response to it from 2+2, and there is no mention at all of either “conversion” or “therapy.” There is mention of repentance and prayer, so if you want to call those things “conversion therapy”, that’s obviously your choice to do so.

I ain’t up-to-date on your slang, dawg!! :smile:

Right, you could try learning something. Prayer is obviously under the conversion therapy umbrella. And on average, it drives LGBTQ+ people to suicide.

Prayer drives people to suicide?

Expecting them to be something other than who they are, more specifically, but if that’s your intent with prayer, sure.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and obey his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. - Ecclesiastes 12:13

You ever worn two different kinds of fabric?

Eaten shrimp? A cheeseburger?

Cut your hair short? Shaved your beard?

Let a woman speak at church?

2 Likes
7 Likes

I’m not familiar with this one. Cliffs?

From wiki: The relevant biblical verses (Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 22:11) prohibit wearing wool and linen fabrics in one garment, the blending of different species of animals, and the planting together of different kinds of seeds (collectively known as kilayim).

1 Like

Thanks. It is just a wool and linen combo that is forbidden, or are all combos bad. How are the purists interpreting this for synthetics. For example, cotton + polyester. OK or not OK?

I am far from an authority figure on Jewish law and how the Torah is observed in practice by adherents of various levels of orthodoxy, but I have garnered a few things. The conservative tradition tends to be to do not only just what the law says, but to do one or two levels better than that, just to be on the safe side. You see this tradition of wanting to be extra careful on occasion throughout the text, I think the first one being where God tells Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. When Eve restates God’s command to the serpent, she says the commandment was to not eat the fruit, nor even to touch it, even though everyone could see just a few paragraphs earlier God said nothing about touching and only spoke about eating. Her understanding of the law was to not just do the minimum or the narrowest letter of what God said, but to be extra careful.

Thus, I would expect, but I have not explicitly researched, that people who wanted to follow the law most closely would avoid mixing all fabrics, even if the law says only wool and linen. I would expect that prevailing opinion was to avoid mixing fabrics in general, even if polyester and polypropylene weren’t things 5000 years ago.

3 Likes

“Yes” to all the above.

Having said that:

In Christ we are justified by faith, not by obedience to the law!

These verses might be of value to some:

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:13a Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law.

Galatians 3:24,25 The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under the schoolmaster.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galatians 5:13 For brethren, ye have been called unto liberty, only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Hope that helps!

Martin Sheen is a fine actor, and delivered his lines quite well. Too bad neither he nor his writer(s) had a clue what they were talking about.

In brief:

There are three categories of laws in the Old Testament:

1. Ceremonial: This would include stuff like diet, clothing, rules for priests etc. This category of law would apply only to the Jews.

2. Judicial: Laws that applied to the nation of Israel and/or laws that were in place while the Jews were in captivity.

3. Moral: Laws like the Ten Commandments. These laws would apply to both Jews and non-Jews.

Too bad the writers didn’t do their homework.

Also a shame that the writers made that lady such a dum-dum. :smile:

Lol

2 Likes

Polycotton == a paddling

1 Like

It helps considerably, but not how you think. The point is that you believe in “Grace for me, law for thee,” by declaring certain people to be perverts according to the same standards you flout. But before you say “BBBBBBBBBut being gay is so much worse than eating a cheeseburger,” for one, there are some pretty serious penalties ascribed to the offenses I listed even though you flout them, and for two, it sure is curious that Jesus had absolutely nothing to say about being an LGBTQIA+ individual if it really is the exception to ignoreable laws.

3 Likes

You are quoting biblical versus to people who reject the veracity of the bible. Not exactly productive

Secondly (and perhaps I should have led with this), faith by definition means you cannot be sure. Otherwise, you wouldn’t need “faith”

The Ten Commandments don’t talk about homosexuality.