GOP insanity containment thread 3: more human than strom thurman

I guess Tim pool finally stopped cosplaying as a centrist

Is there a single “Just asking questions centrist” Podcast personality that actually went the other way and became a liberal?

From Rogan to Chamath/Sacks to Tim Pool there seems to be a common thread here.

1 Like

Closest thing I can think of is when Christopher Hitchens got waterboarded and changed his mind about whether it was torture.

1 Like

I’m not super familiar with Pool, but it seems to me he’s trying to parody perceived liberal hysteria over Trump, not expressing a sincerely-held belief.

Ezra Klein, kind of? Maybe Yglesias. Both super annoying though!

4 Likes

Hitler laughed during speeches?

calling them “so fucking weird” is the way

just fucking hammer this

they’re weird as fuck

5 Likes

Evidently Turning Point is having their conference in town this weekend. Yesterday after work I went to grab a drink with a coworker and we sat next to this guy and his wife (he wasn’t wearing the hat at the time):

I tried to have a polite conversation with him, but he almost immediately steered the conversation to abortion. I tried to back out of the conversation and he said, “that’s just like a WHITE LIBERAL” then a few minutes later he gets up, goes to the bathroom and comes back wearing the hat.

3 Likes

THEY’RE SO FUCKING WEIRD

8 Likes

Oh, it was real fucking weird. He asked me what I do, I told him environmental law, and then he says, “so you care about the trees and water?” I’m like, “yeah.” Then he says, “I wish people like you cared as much about THE BABIES as you do about the trees.”

5 Likes

giphy (3)

3 Likes

Talking to strangers so -ev

6 Likes

I would have asked him why he doesn’t care about women.

A decent chunk of trumpers seem like people who are incapable of normal human interactions and this gives them some way of fitting in with a crowd.

3 Likes

The best approach I’ve found is to just stare blankly at them and say nothing. They are doing this to get a response, and often don’t know what to do when they don’t get one.

Yeah, we need to get over being polite. The correct response here is “That’s a weird fucking thing to say, we were talking about my job. Why are you so weird?”

13 Likes

Everyone likes trees more than babies, babies are annoying as hell.

8 Likes

Was think of the speech about Roosevelt’s warning. It’s a stretch.

I think there are limits to the “Freaks and weird dudes” strategy.

I think the one issue that really backfires on is immigration. When they talk about abortion or women’s rights or their fealty of Trump, keep hammering it.