GOP Insanity Containment: Beets, Gazpacho, and Lube

Like I already knew it, but its wild to know even the cops in fucking vermont are team Nazi

1 Like

That’s clearly, horribly anti-semitic/Mandel is getting fucked with-sweating-over-button-decision.jpg

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1459143067949322241?s=20

The quoted material is from a Mark Theisssssian opinion piece in WaPo. Guelzo is associated with the James Madison program at Princeton. Apparently this take on Kant has some sort of weird Ayn Rand provenance.

Even when I took PoliSci in university 20+ years ago Kant was like a philosophy mirror. Conservatives thought he was conservative, liberals thought he was liberal.

There is perhaps some semi-respectable basis for these takes, at least regarding Kant’s political philosophy, which is much less influential than his epistemology and metaphysics, but the quoted stuff isn’t even wrong, it’s just gibberish.

1 Like

And Londoners thought he was a swear word.

4 Likes

16 Likes

Some good comments in this thread.

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1459162217291595780?s=20

1 Like

All I remember about Kant was giggling like Butthead every time his name was mentioned.

5 Likes

“At press time, a giant hole had opened in the floor and sucked a screaming Donnell into a dimension of unspeakable wokeness.”

Nice

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Kant, but I believe that reason is inadequate and we ought to reject the principles of Enlightenment.

I dunno man, we got all the Subarus here in Utah.

Dunno how accurate this is, but data has VT well above other states in percentage of Subarus.

Denver stop lights are chains of Subarus.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable

1 Like

Huh. Maybe I’m confusing some Toyotas for Subarus. Or it’s just mostly Subarus everywhere.

More seriously, the north-central portion of Utah fits the Subaru demographic pretty well.

This is basically the opposite of Kant.

“For Enlightenment thinkers themselves, however, the Enlightenment is not an historical period, but a process of social, psychological or spiritual development, unbound to time or place. Immanuel Kant defines “enlightenment” in his famous contribution to debate on the question in an essay entitled “An Answer to the Question: What is Enlightenment?” (1784), as humankind’s release from its self-incurred immaturity; “immaturity is the inability to use one’s own understanding without the guidance of another.” Expressing convictions shared among Enlightenment thinkers of widely divergent doctrines, Kant identifies enlightenment with the process of undertaking to think for oneself, to employ and rely on one’s own intellectual capacities in determining what to believe and how to act.”

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/enlightenment/

Many enlightenment thinkers, such as Hume, were skeptical of the fruits of reason, at least as advertised by scholastics and metaphysicians like Leibniz. Kant is generally seen as an effort to save reason from the skepticism of figures like Hume, who famously awoke Kant from his “dogmatic slumber.”

1 Like

The only cars sold in the Pacific northwest are Subarus.

1 Like