GOP Insanity Containment: Beets, Gazpacho, and Lube

Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/anacabrera/status/1410568185326321666?s=21

You guys have got a full-on constitutional crisis going on over there.

No worries. Because America is The Greatest Country In The World everything will work out in the end. Neville Chamberlain, er, I mean Joe Biden has elite skills working with the other side to Come Together and Get Through This.

5 Likes

So is trump just finally using his power and like if you guys do this I will run as a third party in 2024 or something?

I get them needing to put on a show of loyalty for the Trumpers but they’re pulling out all the stops to make sure they can claim anything found is partisan corrupt democratic lies

His location for his first rally in Ohio was picked to target one of the R house members that voted for impeachment. So yea he’s starting to lean into the revenge.

1 Like

My father-in-law not only still uses an AOL email, he pays for AOL because he thinks they have the best browser.

5 Likes

Hard to defend AOL users, but people using Google for their primary address are in no position to look down on Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.

When my grandmother died we found out she had been renting an actual phone from AT&T for 30 years at $20 per month.

3 Likes

What? This is a spicy take we need more expansion on.

Like the classic big honking kitchen phone hanging on the wall? Yeah standard with the old telcos.

Mine too. She paid thousands of dollars for that phone.

It’s like this

They’re all free email services for lazy people who allow themselves to be the product in return for convenience. I guess Google offers more bells and whistles in the interest of having more valuable products to sell to marketers.

1 Like

before the divestiture, that was really the only way to get a phone. It was technically illegal to hook up your own equipment to the phone system. Of course, the baby bells were more than happy to keep renting the phone to you forever even after it was legal to buy your own.

I, for one, am willing to be the product for the benefits that Google gives me. I find great worth in what they do and the convenience they add to my life.

Sure, its the same category, but gmail is objectively a thousand times better product than AOL or hotmail.

Gotta admit, I rent the cable modem/router combo from Xfinity and I consider it pretty close to renting an actual phone from the phone company. Not quite the same since it would take ~a year of rental fees ($10) to purchase the modem compared to 2-3x months for that phone rental price ($20). Mostly rent it since I’ve been moving around the last few years and didn’t ever want to deal with incompatibility issues when switching providers.

Also if you buy the modem/router, when you leave they will charge you for the rental you never had. You’ll have to spend hours on the phone appealing with utterly clueless customer service people, then eventually they’ll relent. It’s fun.

I wouldn’t say fun exactly but I did spend a long time in chat with xfinity people a couple months ago trying to get a simple answer to a simple question. I was getting passed around to different people and they were mostly clueless. Usually I’d just give up but the last guy was trying to get me to accept a nonanswer answer, which just made me more determined to get something definitive out of him. Finally did, though I thought it was a lie just to get rid of me. But I won!

By the same token, I remember the early days of cable, where putting in a splitter and hooking up another TV on your own was both trivial to do, always worked (because there was no encryption and no set-top box required for just the regular channels) and was completely against their rules. But I’m sure 90% of people paid to have it hooked up and then paid the extra $$ for each TV each month.