GOP Insanity Containment: Beets, Gazpacho, and Lube

This is all idealists. To prioritize the way you think the world should be over the way it is is the most stripped down definition of idealism I can come up with.

This isn’t to say you can’t want to change the world for the better or have big dreams… But you do those things by first understanding how the world works, why it works that way, and work inside those parameters.

There are going on eight billion people on earth and zero simple solutions that survive the transition from theory to the real world. Every single spitball take we come up with here, if it would work, would only work after a significant amount of tweaking to localize it to the realities on the ground.

Kind of grunching because this is a fascinating story. (The Coke part. Yes, Pepsi owns its bottling group.)

It’s true that Coca Cola sold the bottling rights for a dollar. But what’s fascinating is that the sale was at a fixed price with no expiration date. So as Coca Cola got more and more popular, and as price inflation continued up and up, Coke was in a shitty position. There was a lot of pricing power in Coke’s brand, as people were willing to pay higher prices for it, but Coke itself wouldn’t benefit from increasing prices. The bottling group would capture any price increases, while Coke was stuck with that same fixed price. From Coke’s perspective, the best thing to do would be to keep a low consumer price to maximize the volume of Coke sold. But Coke couldn’t control the prices that the bottlers charged.

Imo, Coke’s solution was genius. They couldn’t directly force the bottlers to maintain a low end price. So instead, all of Coke’s advertisements promised a nickel price:

Now, Coke couldn’t actually enforce this nickel price, but the bottlers and retailers complied with this pressure and kept their prices low in order to prevent consumer backlash. So Coke’s advertising ultimately maintained the pricing authority that Coke didn’t formally have, and they ended up renegotiating that terrible original contract.

You can see this and other information here: Fixed price of Coca-Cola from 1886 to 1959 - Wikipedia

My favorite part of this is that Coke was largely stuck with this five cent pricing with vending machines because:

• Coke vending machines couldn’t make change
  • Coke believed that consumers would be less willing to buy from a vending machine if they needed multiple coins (a nickel is easy, but six or seven cents is more of a pain in the ass)

So their only perceived solution was to raise the price to a dime, but a doubling in price was out of the question. So they lobbied the US Treasury to mint a 7.5 cents coin in order that would allow them to increase prices by 50%. Their alternative solution was so logical yet stupid that an academic must have thought of it:

In another attempt, The Coca-Cola Company briefly implemented a strategy where one in every nine vending machine bottles was empty.[1] The empty bottle was called an “official blank”.[2] This meant that, while most nickels inserted in a vending machine would yield cold drinks, one in nine patrons would have to insert two nickels in order to get a bottle. This effectively raised the price to 5.625 cents.

There’s a lot of other interesting Coke/Pepsi stuff that doesn’t belong in this thread:

• The accounting treatment of Coke and Pepsi bottling investments was super interesting and was a long-time financial statement analysis case. Basically, the two companies owned enough of the bottlers to maintain control, but not enough that they showed up on the financial statements.
  • The big Coke recipe secret - It’s in a secret vault and no single executive knows the entire recipe - is nonsense. Pepsi can perfectly create Coke and vice versa if they wanted to.
  • The Pepsi challenge was true - people really did enjoy Pepsi more than Coke in a blind test. But that’s only for the initial hit, which is why the Pepsi challenge was conducted with small amounts. Coke is designed so that people enjoy large amounts of it without getting sick of it, which apparently is an attribute that colas have but other beverages like root beer do not.

Happy to talk more about this stuff, but probably not in this thread.

24 Likes

I took the Coke / Pepsi challenge. That Pepsi and Coke absolutely did not taste the same as usual. They let the Coke get hot and cold a bunch or something. Coke is always more carbonated - but the Pepsi was way more carbonated in the challenge.

I took the Pepsi challenge as a kid, and remember thinking that the goal was to choose the Pepsi. I think someone had told me that you only got the reward (or maybe got a better reward) if you picked the Pepsi.

I wouldn’t be surprised if others had a similar impression and that might have messed with the results.

The whole challenge is moot/mute/moo anyway. RC Cola is the king of all colas.

4 Likes

I do like some RC.

Planet Money did a nice episode on the 5 cent Cokes a while back.

I just want them to bring back OK Soda. It revealed the surprising truth about people and situations.

1 Like

We took the Pepsi Challenge in one of my marketing classes in my MBA program, adding RC to the mix. Pepsi won easily (and again, this is the GOIZUETA business school, named after the former CEO of Coke). It wins because it’s sweeter, which makes a big difference when all you get is a room temperature shot instead of an ice cold glass.

RC was the big loser.

1 Like

Just don’t end up as the merchandise in a private club where rich guys pay to torture and kill you.

1 Like

Lol it’s two rich white guys looking to travel out of town to party. They’re more likely to accidentally end up spectators at that event than participants.

1 Like

it would carry more weight if the gun behind her were to be pointed at the viewer at all times.

This is his buddy’s attorney saying this. He be fucked. (Maybe)

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulaReidCNN/status/1380216447432077312

1 Like

Rut Roh.
https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCNN/status/1380214017470431241?s=19

2 Likes

I mean, I’ll freely admit I fell for this shit like 50 times during the Mueller investigation, but Gaetz seems to be in real trouble with basically nobody in his corner.

3 Likes

Great post.

I feel like I read about this in a Malcolm Gladwell book. But IIRC what the studies showed is that if you just gave them a shot of the drink, Pepsi wins, but if you gave people a case of the stuff to take home and checked on how much they consumed, people drank more Coke.

1 Like

This feels like a personal attack that I need to correct, only because I can’t stand Gladwell. So to set the record straight: I heard this from a Warren Buffett presentation at Columbia Business School about 15 years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, I understand the sentiment. I was actually ashamed to admit that’s where I got it from. Hopefully, I’m remembering it incorrectly.

1 Like

I already didn’t like Gladwell, then he went to bat for Joe fucking Paterno.

1 Like

Let’s see ole Matty Gaetz wriggle out of this one

14 Likes

I cant remember who said it, but I think the best description I heard of Gladwell is that he writes whole books about ideas that can be fully explained in about 100 words. He thinks his insights are much bigger than they actually are.

2 Likes