GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

After belting out his complaints about welfare recipients eating fudge rounds and making QAnon-adjacent allegations about politicians sex trafficking children, conservative darling Oliver Anthony has come under fire from his right-wing fan base for allegedly faking his accent.

Mr Anthony’s song Rich Men North of Richmond — a reference to politicians living in Washington DC — became a viral hit among conservative audiences last week. After right-wing commenters on social media praised it for its raw and “real” messaging, they seem to have turned on Mr Anthony after a video emerged showing his “real” accent is not a twangy Appalachian one.

Infuriating conservatives even further is the fact that Mr Anthony also praised diversity as the US’s main strength.

During a Fox News interview, Mr Anthony — who grew up in North Carolina — speaks with what sounds like a typical American accent.

“I mean, we are the melting pot of the world,” Mr Anthony told the interviewer in the video, “and that’s what makes us strong, is our diversity, and we need to learn to harness that and appreciate it, and not use it as a political tool to keep everyone separate from each other you know?”

6 Likes

Poor guy didn’t even make it two weeks before the wolves turned on him, such a shame.

2 Likes

Honestly that song is a perfect example of most rural blue collar workers in America. You talk to one and they’re complaining about rich people exploiting them and you’re like “fuck yeah man unionize and fight the power!” And then another beer later they’re rambling about weird pedophile conspiracies and bitching about people on welfare and you’re like “oh… Alright then I guess I’ll be going now”.

16 Likes

More like All-Over Anthony, amirite?

2 Likes

The whole right wing internet loves Milkshake Duck, a lovely racist duck that drinks milkshakes!

5 seconds later

We regret to inform you the duck is not racist.

10 Likes

EagerSlowAustrianpinscher-size_restricted

2 Likes

Running for that VP slot?

1 Like

The real lesson from 2008 wasn’t that Palin was crazy, but that McCain wasn’t crazy enough.

8 Likes

Pretty savage take down of this shit hole south imo.

12 Likes

All very fair and a pretty good synposis of the things that made me dislike the South when I visited (which I have done many times - for all it’s faults, I do like a place like Austin (at least pre-2010) as a destination to have some fun, and my wife’ parents unfortunately were really into a winter vacation in Florida each year). Having said that, many of the comments on the lifestyle of the affluent being supported by the labor of the desperate poor are also true in the North, just less so. I guess “at least we try a little bit to make the wage slaves less desperate, so long as it doesn’t interfere with my brunch plans” is a better philosophy than “we actively try at every turn to oppress the wage slaves even more”.

4 Likes

If Trump is convicted and there is another Jan 6th event and Palin and company make these comments telling everyone they should revolt, will it be illegal or still freedom of speech?

1 Like

palin was a #YOLO He wished in the end he just picked his friend and lost anyway.

Indiana blue is a sight to behold. That’ll be another 30 years at least if ever.

If she is also working behind the scenes to deprive voters of their votes or encouraging folks to file false documents it would be illegal.

Eh, I would have said the same thing about Georgia 15 years ago.

Obviously hopeless in the short term, but 30 years is a long time.

Can’t imagine why her husband divorced her

1 Like

Indiana is a LOT whiter than GA, tho. A huge part of why the South is so red is old-fashioned voter suppression.

Indiana is bottom 10 in the US by % of population with a college degree.

Sure, but it’s not like Democrats can’t win super white states.

This is a bigger problem, but could be solved over the long term if Democrats actually start backing labor again.

The RNC is seeking “recovery for donations it allegedly lost as a result of its emails not being delivered to its supporters’ inboxes,” Calabretta noted. But Google correctly argued that the lawsuit claims are barred by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, the judge wrote. The RNC lawsuit was filed in October 2022 in US District Court for the Eastern District of California.

“While it is a close case, the Court concludes that… the RNC has not sufficiently pled that Google acted in bad faith in filtering the RNC’s messages into Gmail users’ spam folders, and that doing so was protected by Section 230. On the merits, the Court concludes that each of the RNC’s claims fail as a matter of law for the reasons described below,” he wrote.

3 Likes