GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

Not sure if it’s still legal but 20 years ago when I was a waiter we would marry the ketchup bottles every night. Due to this I generally don’t use ketchup at cheap restaurants (and especially will not use the bottom of a bottle as who knows how old it could be).

1 Like

How about soy sauce? Fridge or no fridge?

ppl squeamish about room temperature ketchup would be horrified about the things that go unrefrigerated far outside the cocoon-like USA

All the restaurant ketchup that sits on the table never goes in the fridge

And those glass bottles sit there for decades, getting refilled as the very bottom of the ketchup never leaves the bottle

1 Like

Fridge if you have the space. It tastes better for longer if you refrigerate it. It will keep fine outside the fridge though.

/mombloginfothatyoushouldn’ttrustbutmaybetrue,idk

I think this is the correct answer, but I’m curious what people actually do. We’re a no fridge family, even though I know this is suboptimal.

My wife would put everything in the fridge if she could.

Meanwhile in France eggs are kept at room temp

1 Like

That’s the keef ketchup, it’s the best part.

4 Likes

Fridge for me. I buy the 1QT+ size of Kikkoman once a year or so.

I have some old Chinese style dark soy sauce in the fridge that I should probably toss, but it still does the job. There is also some Filipino soy sauce for chicken adobo in there and a Tamari that I tried once and didn’t like.

Highly acidic foods are fine at room temperature. So is very salty stuff. Ketchup is acidic enough to be safe. Soy sauce is borderline on acid but very salty. This is based on a thorough Internet search of like 5 minutes so you can totally bet your life on it.

2 Likes

lol guy is complete trash.

suarez

no fridge, but we go through it fast. Likewise, hot sauce, sriracha, sambal oelek all stay out (but we go through those fast too). I cook a LOT of Asian food…

I usually put the ketchup in the fridge, but honestly, that’s more because I think it tastes better cold. Having worked in restaurants, I know it’s safe to leave out.

For eggs, I tend to go with inertia. If they’re not refrigerated when you buy them (like from the farmers market/egg farm) then they stay out, and vice versa.

American eggs have to be refrigerated because they’re washed (eggs you buy directly from the farmer are (probably) not washed). Once they’re washed, it’s easier for… bacteria to grow on the shell? IDK the specifics, but that’s the difference.

2 Likes

So why do they wash them? Farmer’s market eggs don’t look dirty.

So, are factory farm eggs just covered in chicken shit or something like that?

because farmers market eggs are usually “free range”…the chickens lay them then move around away from the eggs.

factory farm eggs are not from free range chickens. meaning they lay them and then they can’t move anywhere else to go take a shit.

So the answer to your question is yes.

1 Like

I have a Soy Sauce pourer, but buy the sauce in bulk. Sauce in the pourer stays in the fridge, bulk bottle in the pantry

That seems backwards. If the bulk sauce has been at room temp for ?months, then will putting it in the fridge after that change anything?

Thanks for confirming. That is exactly how I imagined it, but I wanted to make sure.

Fucked if I know. Thats how Ive done it for decades. Maybe I just like the way the cool soy feels on the hot rice?

Probably has something to do with the fact that the bulk has something to stop the hole, but the pourer has two open holes that cant be closed