GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

Oh, and another spin on this: Because Dems are the party of believing in observable reality and the Rs are the party of believing whatever unsubstantiated nonsense you feel like believing, there is a strong tilt in all age groups toward education. Getting education and learning things about the world weirdly seems to make people stop believing conservative mumbo jumbo. Anyway, less than 40% of Americans under 25 have a college or other post secondary degree.

demotivational-posters-well-theres-your-problem6

An uneducated population is a Republican population.

1 Like
2 Likes

All of that stuff was on the 6 oā€™clock news and wasnā€™t that far out of the mainstream. Iran-Contra was extensively and accurately covered. Shopping malls were widely hated. ā€œGreed is goodā€ came from the movie Wall Street in 1987, the same year as Platoon, Robocap & Full Metal Jacket. Michael Dukakis won 45.7% of the vote in 1988 and carried 10 states.

Minority views, sure. But it was a sizeable minority and the views were hardly radical or esoteric.

If I had to guess why my cohort is more deplorable than others today Iā€™d say weā€™re just uniquely bitter in our middle age. Our youth is gone and the future sucks. Might as well vote for the people who feed our angry nihilism.

6 Likes

I just read a vox article and promptly yelled at my mom

3 Likes

For the same reason Trump is still bigly popular and not in prison.

1 Like

Because his heart and his best intentions >>>> the facts and evidence.

2 Likes

Probably Nixon was an outlier in American politics and most major scandals will play out like Iran-Contra or Jan6. How many votes would they have had to boot out Nixon if heā€™d refused to resign? Plus Nixon probably gets away with it without recordings of him blatantly doing crimes.

Yeah, I agree with this. But weā€™re trying to understand a 60/40 tilt. The minority views are not as explanatory as the ā€œaverageā€ view, which was what I was trying to articulate.

1 Like

" A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me thatā€™s true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not ."
Ronald Regan

You just have to believe , in spite of facts and evidence.

1 Like

Glad i could be of service

:harold:

I donā€™t really know. It may have been down to just how likeable Reagan was? Here he is trying to explain it all away. This was broadcast on every station during prime time.

The 80s and 90s were also periods where the countryā€™s economic prosperity was undoubtedly improving compared to the 70s. Reagan (wrongly) gets a lot of credit for that. I think people in there 40s, 50s and 60s largely care way more about their pocketbooks than social issues. Reagan is basically the poster boy for the economic gains at any cost mentality and so people idolize him for that.

Nixon was widely hated, even by many Republicans. Nixon was a truly detestable human being.

Reagan was widely loved, even by many Democrats. Reagan was a truly nice human being (though he did many detestable things and I personally despised him) .

There was also a deeply held narrative belief that the perceived economic boom was deeply connected to the inherent superiority of capitalism as compared to communism, Reagan was the symbol of Defeating Communism, etc.

2 Likes

It canā€™t be understated how much non political people (the significant majority though less so nowadays) will attribute the quality of their life, where driven by a great economic situation, to the government. Especially right wing ones which are, with zero evidence, considered better at running an economy. This then drives what little political views they have (ie. Loving Reagan or Thatcher - and nostalgia/time makes the heart grow fonder)

2 Likes

In case anyone is curious, my mother, who again is more left than Iā€™d say 60-65% of America, doubled down on the Reagan narrative and said the article supports the claim because the talks didnā€™t actually get finalized until the day Reagan won which shows they were afraid of him

The ā€œYouā€™re wrong aboutā€ podcast has an episode about Iran-Contra and they talked about how Oliver Northā€™s performance in full uniform before congress left quite an impression and probably strongly influenced the public perception.

Trying to convince boomers of reality is a fruitless exercise every time. Itā€™s one of their trademark flaws.

Can confirm. The only way to kind of change them is to find what you agree on and then slowly chip away at some of the insanity one idea at a time.

That said, itā€™s a slog and not worth it. Theyā€™ll be dead by the time youā€™ve made any meaningful changes in their mindset.

2 Likes

Michael Buffer could endorse it.

4 Likes